S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Opinions on a JL Audio Stealthbox? I just picked one up for $250 with speakers.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gotta go w/ HIS4 on this one. Using your SW for MB is not a great idea if you like SQ.

XO your fonts and subs as low as you can for best results. Getting and Avant just for the audio issues means you could have got better components/system design/tuning...
Old 08-23-2007, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

guess I was wrong...sort of (not for S4)
Old 08-23-2007, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default sorry, sounds better in an open cabin, always has always will, you crack me up filter out the higher

frequencies, a good sealed enclosure is capable of mid bass especially a 12"

I been doing sound for a long time i know what sounds good it not just a hobby
Old 08-23-2007, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

haha come on now lol hatch backs and wagons always sound better keep dreamin a sedan sounds better
Old 08-23-2007, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I never said what kind of car could have better sound, just that any car can have great sound if the

system is designed/intalled/tuned properly.
Obviously hatches/wagons have less restrictive obsticles to overcome but if you understand sound, you would know that SUB-bass from SUBwoofers are non-directional soundwaves that you feel more or as much as you hear. When you use one driver to reproduce these non-directional sounds AND directional midbass sound, not only will it have the potential for more distortion, but it messes up your soundstage. Part of having good sound quality is having an accurate soundstage. So, regardless of what kind of car you have, it's best to have all the frequency range except for Subs (below 100hz) up front. It's great to have subs in front if you can but since they're non-directional, it doesn't matter as much and this works out great for cars since there usually isn't much room up front. If your worried about output levels being reduced in a sedan, first, non-directional sound is not reflected away as easily as high frequencies so the loss won't be much and if you must, you can compensate w/ more power, larger driver(s), more sensitive drivers, better design, etc...
Old 08-23-2007, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Using large drivers for midbass works well for home audio since everything is in front of you.

I becomes much more difficult in a car since 10" mids in a door is not practical in most appliations.

I'm not saying a sedan sounds better than another open cabin vehicle but crossing over your sub that high will draw your soundstage towards the rear of the car. Most car audio competitors will agree.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That's what I'm saying. It's hilarious how some people say they are experts on something and we

should believe everything they say. These "experts" usually never give any explanation or factual evidence that supports their claims, they just say, "trust me".
Yeah right, not only does that make me not listen to them, it makes them sound arrogant and stupid. Saying one type of car always sounds better then another without taking anything else into account is just ignorant.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm not bustin on him. He does know his stuff. We're just not in agreement on this one.

He does and has proven in other threads that he has a lot of audio industry knowledge.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default regarless if bass is omnidirectional the SEAT lowers the sound level

talking about what my system sounds like without ever hearing it is the only arogant thing in this thread. I have the option to explain or not to.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

the sound stage is perfect in my car,

Quick Reply: Opinions on a JL Audio Stealthbox? I just picked one up for $250 with speakers.