S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Opinions on a JL Audio Stealthbox? I just picked one up for $250 with speakers.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sorry, I'm also going to have to say if you had to set your XO to 200HZ to avoid distortion on your

front stage, you either did a poor installation job or, let me guess, you're using the 4" set. MB Quarts are not known for great midbass but you should be able to get lower then 100hz if they're properly set up (other then the 4"). I dispise the fact that a lot of german luxury cars are designed with fancy expensive systems but use 4" speakers for the front. Stupid.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Please stop assuming things. I never said your system sounded bad. Just responding to what I read.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It wouldn't be the first time I was surprised but I'd have to hear it to believe it.

Do you have the amphibious vehicle mod for you to drive to Hawaii?
Old 08-23-2007, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default wrong!!! I did take everything into account without saying it. ill spell it out for ya..............

EVERYTHING BEING EQUAL A OPEN CABIN CAR WILL ALWAYS HAVE A CRISPER TIGHTER BASS TO IT.

im not saying trust me or anything, make your own judgement I could care less. I can manipulate sound to a level you probably arent aware of so before you start talkin BS find out where im from and what ive done in the audio industry.

cars are a joke to me, so is home theater, pro sound/recording is the hardest and MOST FUN for me to play with cuz everything else is just butter.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default im working on it, its bowered by mid bass drivers that use to be subs he frequencies actually push

the water and propel me under water.

only problem is its not stealth a sub could blow me out of the water and i never see any fish cuz of the sound ;-p
Old 08-23-2007, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Not trying to knock him either but his input here is incomplete or off and it's hard to make use of

it without better explanations.

Like when he says the soundstage is perfect in his car and that's it. How is that possible when he already said their is midbass coming from the back? Is there a different way to judge good soundstage that he's going by and not telling us? Did he do some special thing that reflects the midbass sounds throughout the car so they appear to be coming from the front and somehow time align just those frequencies seperately to match? If so, I'd really like to know about these advanced techniques. So I'm sorry if it seemed like an attack but I like valuable information to be explained clearly if it's out of the norm.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I didn't know this was about resumes. I'm not doing a background check on everyperson who posts here

I work with musicians and am around different pro-audio studios on a regular basis but like I said, that don't mean **** when you try to state facts with no support. I'm a open minded person but there are some rules of physics that are hard to argue with. I would love to hear your system sometime and hear some more of your expertise if you have the time because I'm always trying to learn more.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default you did, indirectly when you said " Using your SW for MB is not a great idea if you like SQ." ......

without hearing it?? your assuming not me!!!
Old 08-23-2007, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default all you really had to do is say hmmm could i be wrong? you took a blind stance

on something you never heard

its ok though I am always misunderstood because i dont explain stuff on the net. especially when people are being critical. but the thing there lacking is first hand objectivity on say my sound system or anyones for that matter. without that being critical on the net without first hand look is just bad joo joo
Old 08-23-2007, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Just to try, I changed my crossover points on my mid and sub to 200 Hz on my way home from work.

Honestly I couldn't get used to it. It made my mids sound very thin. I brought it down to about 100 Hz and it started to sound fuller. Finally I brought it down to 80 Hz and it sounded better. I think with some EQ I could get it to sound good at 80 Hz. It still sounds like the sub is overwhelming the mids at 80 Hz. It could be because I have a ported box so there probably is a little peak at the upper limit of the enclosures frequency response.

I guess I would just have to hear yours to hear what you're hearing.

Quick Reply: Opinions on a JL Audio Stealthbox? I just picked one up for $250 with speakers.