S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Opinions on a JL Audio Stealthbox? I just picked one up for $250 with speakers.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 01:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's nice you feel better now and can talk down on me some more. I always like to be wrong and learn

something new but there is so much crap out there. The internet is great because it gives us this access but technology has made it easy for anyone to do a lot of things not possible before and claim to be experts at it. One way to weed this useless information out is by eliminating the opinions of people who don't make sense or contradict themselves on a particular topic. The last thing you were so proud to mention,
"EVERYTHING BEING EQUAL A OPEN CABIN CAR WILL ALWAYS HAVE A CRISPER TIGHTER BASS TO IT.", is another such case. If a system was designed with all the midbass coming from the front, having an open cabin will make no difference to the "crisp, tight" bass you hear. Anyway, I can take apart your posts and explain the problems with them all day but it's not really the point here. We can settle this if I get a chance to hear your system and viewpoint in person. It's very likely you could prove me wrong and it's just that you're not good at communicating your knowledge on the internet.
So, that Stealthbox seems like a real good option. I think it holds two 10"'s and directs the sound up through the rear deck. I didn't know it was so big though and I won't be going that route for my car because of that. Matched with a nice component set in the front, it should sound very nice though.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

ZZZzzzzzz...
Old 08-24-2007, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default it wont work for your sedan thats why the mids sound thin you dont have an open cabin

and your speakers are facing away from you so you rgetting 2nd to third reflections, you pretty much have a band pass enclosure which is your trunk...

the only way to try and gain the mid bass out of your sedan is with special molded plastic pieces that go form a 12" woofer to a 6x9 and up to the reardash

that would have to be a total redesign of your system though only thing you could do to get more mid bass is add woofers in your compartment

that is if your lacking it
Old 08-24-2007, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default your right not good explaining on the net, but really thats not the issue.

issue is you both blindly said it wont sound right without even hearing it.

every system is a case by case setup and tune, in my case im running midranges that dont like much mid bass. I have them tuned to be as loud as they can go with no distortion, for that to be possible the crossover has to be set high 200 hz. the bonus of an open cabin is that you can run the sub at say 200hz (it might be a little lower but its around there) and the mid bass blends in with the speakers. 200 hz is on the verge of NOT being omni directional so it works.

the only thing I can say is you would have to hear it. if your ever in edgewater on thursday ill play it for ya
Old 08-24-2007, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's you who's blindly expecting others to take an unconventional idea at face value.

You're the one advocating a design that defies convention. In my limited car audio experience, I've never once heard someone insist that a setup such as yours is superior. I would say it's up to you to explain your rationale for doing so. Expecting everyone else to take your word for it without offering a little insight is what's causing the issue.

(Sorry to butt in, but I've had the thread tracked and I've been reading along).
Old 08-24-2007, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default im running an old school phoenix gold m25 at 1 ohm, you cant get more clearer then that amp now aday

I tuned it with the gain on the amp all the way up and the volume at 3/4You lose headroom after that on the audi system(its audible), bass at -3(there is tremendous base form the 300/2 amp and sealed JL w3 12"so cutting the bass was nessacary to control it properly other wise it would be to bassy) treble maxed out the bose eq set at 67896789. I listened to JUST the mids and highs and played a vareity of music hip hop house, rock new wave. I played the cd player, radio and my ipod.After that i found a sweet spot for the speakers and left the cross over at that point. then i turned the gain up half way on the 300/2 and played it with just the sub woofer and it sounded fine, no distortion except for at 3/4 volume. So i hook up the mids and highs and take a listen. well, lets just say bringing the volume past 1/2 way was loud enough to hear loud and clear(jbl slogan lol) 200 ft away.

I
Old 08-24-2007, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I hear you, its not conventional, thinking it wont sound good and saying it blindly is just as bad,

regardless of conventional or non conventional. the only difference is I know how to fine tune systems correctly. i just posted how i tuned it up top.
here

https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/2698392.phtml

thats why when people listen to my system and i open up the trunk and they see one 12" there like wtf? but honestly its not unconventional at all just tuned very well

if you want you can read my long post on my home system its VERY unconventional<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/htelect/msgs/8458.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/htelect/msgs/8458.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 08-24-2007, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Alright, you got my respect after reading some stuff you posted but only because you are crazy and

I'm cool with that. Unconventional thinking is what I look for but I still gotta hear some of your stuff to be convinced. Still doesn't make much sense to me.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

anytime bro, sorry for the confusion, everyone here knows im crazy hahaha
Old 08-30-2007, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

yeesh, missing the point completly