S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

OT (X-poster from TT board): For those who leave their computers at home/work idling for a long..

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2001, 01:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT (X-poster from TT board): For those who leave their computers at home/work idling for a long..

period of time.

Please consider signing up for United Devices. <A href="http://www.ud.com" target="_top">(www.ud.com)</a>

This is <b>NOT</b> some kind of spam.

So what is it? I'll make it short. It's basically a program which runs in the background of your computer, making calculations for a formula which has the <b>possibility</b> of finding a cure for cancer!

This is how it works.. click <A href="http://members.ud.com/membership/howitworks/" target="_top">here</a>

Just click <A href="http://members.ud.com/download/" target="_top">here</a> to download the small program.

I have started an "Audiworld Member team" - its just a 'team' we can setup and see how much we have contributed all together. There are prizes to be won, but thats just a bonus

Please feel free by joining the team by clicking right <A href="http://members.ud.com/services/teams/team.htm?id=22767A01-4C72-4949-B9AC-A1742EF3DD61" target="_top">here</a>

I have just discovered this program myself, I believe some of us should be interested in this as well. I personally know people with cancer, and know its a horrible disease. Does this calculation stuff actually work? I honestly don't know, but since I leave my computer idling most of the day, might as well contribute to this program.
Old 04-11-2001, 04:26 AM

Default That is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard. As a High-Tech IT Professional in the top 5%

of his feild I'll tell everyone with confidence that this is a load of s**t. Wanna help cancer? Give some cash to you local research charity or go donate time to a cancer ward.
Old 04-11-2001, 06:29 AM

Obviously you're not that high tech....
Old 04-11-2001, 06:50 AM

Default Re: OT (X-poster from TT board): For those who leave their computers at home/work idling for a long.

If you are going to do this go through stanford not United Devices. UD is doing this for profit and plans to sell/or patent anything that comes of this. Stanford is distributing the information gathered to anyone who wants it for free. Just something to consider if you decide to try a program like this.<ul><li><a href="http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/Cosm/">Stanford Folding@home</a></li></ul>
Old 04-11-2001, 08:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ah, I already donate CPU to SETI :)

Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence.

Your computer analyzes recordings from space trying to find something meaningful.

Someday... someday .
Old 04-11-2001, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Actually your post is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. "Top 5%"...*snicker*. :-)
Old 04-11-2001, 08:58 AM

*right on*
Old 04-11-2001, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Used to do a *lot* of SETI but had to quit for various reasons...

At my old job I set up every idle desktop I could find with it, plus my own machine and my home machine.

At my new job most of what we have is laptops and they're just not designed to run their CPUs at 100% all the time...there's a tendency to overheat and wear out the fan.

And my home machine is flaky and SETI seemed to make it a bit worse.

Really sucks, I love this kind of ultra-distributed computing. I put my old Alpha into RSA's DES Challenge some years ago and was part of the 10,000+ CPU virtual supercomputer that won the contest.
Old 04-11-2001, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Top 5% and you don't read /.?

This topic was discussed to hell and back there Mr. IT professional.

I hope you don't put that "top 5%" garbage on your resume, because it CERTAINLY won't get you hired, at least not where I work.
Old 04-12-2001, 06:08 AM

Default Hehe I hear you

I used to leave my machine at home in standby (Win 98) but seems it's a lot happier if I just leave it on and reboot every 3 or 4 days, rarely crashes, so I decided to forget about it and leave it on once I started to run SETI@home.

A lot of people run it here at work but yeah, I would not recommend it in a laptop, been thinking about running it on some of the big servers (Sun) we have in the lab .

It's really cool to see and participate in this sort of thing in real life after seeing the movie hehe.

Distributed computing is what the future will be about, we are reaching the limits of non parallel computing as we know it.
Once they come up with a molecular computer the story may change .