S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

OUCH! - $25,500 spent so far in mods, maintenance, repairs and upgrades...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plus there is something to be said for tracking your street car. Something cool about tracking the

same car you drove there in. Of course, I'm saying this because there is no way I could afford to buy or store a race car.
Old 07-06-2003, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default ah there's the rub...

street legal if registered as a replicar.

Granted, it's about as practical (and comfortable) as a motorcycle but I assure you that lapping 10 seconds a lap faster than your street car could ever dream of is pretty cool too :-)
Old 07-06-2003, 08:22 PM
AJG
AudiWorld Super User

Ditto.
Old 07-06-2003, 08:23 PM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I expect to live at least that long...

...people our ages are going to make it a long time. And once I finish modding my S4, I am going to drive it at least 3-4 more years (to get my money's worth out of it) as my daily driver, then I will never modify another car again (unless there's just that one or two items that need tweaking to make a big improvement) and I will work toward buying a race car or turning my S4 into a track car.
Old 07-06-2003, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default heh, if it gets wrecked...

You need a ride home ;-P

Actually, there are enough ways to buy ride-and-drive race or HPDE rides that one can actually have tons of fun on a track with a car they aren't responsible for for very competitive prices to modding a street car so it's tolerable on a track.

I'm doing the entire 8 HPDE 4 sessions in this Caterham for $700 + entry fees.
Old 07-06-2003, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default That's pretty cool then. Alas, I still couldn't afford more than one car, so for now, the S4 must

serve double duty. Besides, it's not like I'm racing the thing. =)
Old 07-06-2003, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The real question->have you enjoyed it? I know for me part of the fun is the modification

and the testing. Hence the S4 versus several other "competitors". I just wish the ecu wasn't so friggin' opaque, so I wouldn't be so dependent on our "tuners". I'm not really used to being so damned passive in my modifications, but I still *really* like the S4 and its upgrade paths.

I think its an impressive car for what it can accomplish despite itself.
Old 07-06-2003, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

No kidding. When you could not sell your car for the cost of the mods, that is sad.
Old 07-06-2003, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default yeah, I went the same way...

after I quit racing, I modded cars for a while but realized that for the street, a car that's comfortable at any speed and well balanced is the ultimate (do a lot of these club drives) and at the end of the day, street cars are fish out of water on race tracks and are actually more expensive (in many ways) to run.

We did 8 enduros (including the 12 hour) in 2001 for $8000 with a $6000 car that I sold for $7500. Not that it's ever "cheap" to go to the track but there are ways to get incredible track experiences FOR less than spending a fortune on a car that's not REALLY up to the demands of the track.

Have you ever tried a 125 shifter kart? Around here there are even "spec" series where you can buy the kart and pay the sanctioning body to prepare it and you just arrive and drive!

This is sort of what we're looking at now (arrive and drives) but I am seriously looking into building one of these Carthams because they can be registered as a replicar so can get to/from the track under their own power.

Check out these videos...the car doesn't have top-end but look how fast it blows by street cars (there's even an RS4 in there) and this guy isn't even that great of a driver!

This guy's site is also the progression of a guy through all sorts of street cars until he finally realizes a track-dedicated car is the way to go (he got rid of a Lotus 340R because it wasn't suited to the track!)<ul><li><a href="http://www.jackals-forge.com/lotus/">http://www.jackals-forge.com/lotus/</a</li></ul>
Old 07-06-2003, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default do yourself a favor and try a shifter kart...

go to a kart school or something. Everyone who has ever been near a track should see what they're missing before they spend another dime on their car.

With a kart, the storage/transport requirements are MUCH easier (hell, you can rent a U-haul van).

Quick Reply: OUCH! - $25,500 spent so far in mods, maintenance, repairs and upgrades...