S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Over 2000 miles...Break In / Oil Change Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-1999, 07:20 AM
Brent

Default Over 2000 miles...Break In / Oil Change Question

I am having a hard time with the recommended oil change schedule. 8000 miles seems like an awful long time to leave the original oil in the car, so regardless of what anyone says about modern engine building processes, I am changing the oil at 2500 miles (probably at the end of this week.)

Here is the question...do I stick with dino-oil until the 8000 mile marker to "properly complete" my break-in, or do I make my switch to synthetic now?
Old 10-19-1999, 07:44 AM
SRT

Default Re: Over 2000 miles...Break In / Oil Change Question

What I've always heard is to allow the engine to completely break in before switching to synthetic oil. This could be a range from 1500 to 8000 miles depending upon what your manual or service dept. says. I'm not sure how much this apply's these days because Mercedes and BMW come with synthetic oil from the factory. I believe there's alot of break in that takes place at the factory before the engine is even put in the car.

Hope this helps
Old 10-19-1999, 07:59 AM
Bob

Audi told my dealer to wait until 5K miles to switch to synthetic
Old 10-19-1999, 08:03 AM
mrw

Default Well...

I debate this with my mothers husband ALL the time. He NEVER EVER changes the oil in any of his cars! The surprising thing is that he's the chief engineer of a CART team that was won Many championships. To each his own, I suppose.
Old 10-19-1999, 08:41 AM
dhodory

If you do change oil (before the 8k miles are up), be sure to use a non-detergant oil.
Old 10-19-1999, 09:56 AM
OPEC's Worst Nightmare

Default How about this oil change philosophy:

A buddy of mine used to drain the oil every 6 or 8 or 10 thousand miles and put it in a can in the corner of his garage to "rest." He'd refill the crankcase, then, when the time was right, he'd drain that oil and replace it with the well-rested stuff. He'd mumble about particulates settling out, eternal viscosity, etc. Makes you compulsive oil changers shudder, huh?
Old 10-20-1999, 12:56 PM
Frank B

Default Why change your oil? (more)

Consumer Reports did a study of wear and oil changes (no-turbos as I recall) and found generally no advantage to changing more often than mfg recommends....as I recall they looked at engines with a microscope and found no meaningful differenc i wear.

Frank B
Old 12-11-1999, 09:40 PM
BrentA

Default Let me be the first to say...

that this S4 owner is lucky to be marrying someone who would come to this forum and ask for help like this! I hope everyone will chime in with some good ideas for you.

It is difficult to recommend one of the new performance chips. They have not been out long, and personal preference weighs heavily. It would be difficult to know which one he wants, and I don't think a gift certificate would be appropriate here.

Does he have a radar detector? If not a Valentine One would be a big hit. By most accounts, there is not a better one made. Check it out at valentineone.com.
Old 12-11-1999, 09:50 PM
CD-changer for $250

http://www.rockvilleporscheaudi.com/parts.html
Old 12-12-1999, 03:28 AM
Vijay

Default Re: Gift for an S4 enthusiast

My Reiger Type M rear spoiler was $439 from LLtek motorsports. www.lltek.com. Comes painted. Ask him if he's into that "look". Some people aren't.

Quick Reply: Over 2000 miles...Break In / Oil Change Question