S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Oversized Pistons

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oversized Pistons

Does anyone know where I might be able to source a set of oversized pistons for an 2000 audi s4, besides the custom order je Pistons. Some say you can get Audi Motorsport oversized but I phoned audi and they say they do not make them?? any ideas would be appreciated?
Old 12-06-2003, 06:52 AM

Default what exactly are you trying to achieve with the oversized pistons?

is it a compliment to something else? are you just simply trying to alter the compression.
the stock pistons are very well made. i don;t know if there is a gain bnig enough to justify cracking the engine open liek that.
but i am interested as to what you are trying to do, care to enlighten?

joe
Old 12-06-2003, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just use Audi pistons.....

The 2.7L has an 81mm bore. The largest you will want to go with any Audi engine is 82.5mm (maybe 83mm sacrificing longevity). With an 82.5mm bore you can then use the 2.8L pistons. You'll have to make sure the 2.7L rods will work with the 2.8 pistons and wrist pins.

If you want to go larger than 2.8L it will be best to strocke the engine. These guys can help you out if you want to go that route....
<a href="http://www.eurospecsport.com/introduction.htm">Eurospec</a>
Old 12-06-2003, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default the 81mm pistons from the 2.7 are forged, are the 82.5 as well? I would think they are cast.

and even at that, a set of JE forged pistons are only like $800.00 if you do your own leg work.... how much cheaper could stock 2.8 pistons be?
Old 12-06-2003, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No idea...never really thought the 2.7 needed to be bored/stroked.

I know both have forged cranks but I'm not sure on the 2.8 piston.
Old 12-06-2003, 03:54 PM

Default Re: what exactly are you trying to achieve with the oversized pistons?

Yes, of course... Turns out that I bought an audi recently with some light frontal damage, long story short the timing belt skipped a tooth and damaged 6 intake valves. No big deal but the engine remained outdoor for some time after the accident and suffered some water damage to the cylinder walls causing corrosion so this is why I must bore the cylinders and find oversized pistons, while I'm at it I'm bolting on the AWE Turbo package(on order) and bore and match the exhaust and intake manifold.. so back to the pistons what should I do?.. I know KTR has a set of JE pistons lower compression 8.8 to 1 which wouldn't be so bad considering the crappy 91 octane fuel we have in Canada, but they want 2000.00 for them..I think a little steep!!!.. Would The audi 2.8L factory pistons work? According to my investigations the stock 2.7L pistons are 82.48mm with a cylinder bore of 82.51.. so I definately need to step up to a 82.74mm-83mm piston.......IDEAS?
Old 12-06-2003, 04:12 PM

Default whatever you do make sure the pistons are forged.

i think someone in this thread mentioned they could get JE for 800.00???
I have never really thought about this topic. i always wrote it off as the stock internals were more than enough for what i wanted, but i was interested to see why you were going to do them.
as far as i know noone has gone this route except for KTR, someone in poland and maybe dahlback?????
good luck though, keep the forum posted on what you do. seems to me that going thrgouh ktr to get je pistons is middlemna, cut them out and go direct. thats what i would do

joe
Old 12-06-2003, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default the reason KTR's are 2k is they did the leg work....

you can call JE and commission the job yourself, but this will take time and some work on your part..... Some pistons (I don't know about the S4) are exclussive to a tuner,,, for example, you can not order VW GTi VR6 81mm Forged pistons from Ross,,, they have exclusive contracts with EIP for them.

couldn't you just have the block honed and an oversized ring used? Doesn't Audi have a 1 over ring that would save you this problem????
Old 12-06-2003, 04:27 PM

Default Re: the reason KTR's are 2k is they did the leg work....

Good comment on the ring...I will pursue that on monday with Audi, according to this bentley manual I have here they list 1 over pistons at 82.74 with a cylinder bore of 82.76, but state they are not available from audi. I know all about the air of secrecy amoungst tuners when it comes to there r&amp;d into pistons, I of course tried to go direct with je on the ktr pistons only to be told in no uncertain terms the pistons were confidential.. in some respects I can appretiate that but when you mark the product up 120 % it seems difficult to me to imagine them selling many. I could just send je a sample piston and tell them to go ahead and make me one up do you guys recommend lower the compression? I do have the rs4 turbos on the way remember... anyhow thanks for your input.
Old 12-06-2003, 04:32 PM

Default Re: the reason KTR's are 2k is they did the leg work....

http://www.europeancarweb.com/features/0309ce_s4/

Also check out the link above does anyone know of this guy, I wonder where he got his pistons?

Quick Reply: Oversized Pistons