S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Oversized Pistons

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'm trying to figure out if they are cast or forged...no such luck yet.....

I'm looking into the 2.8 and the 3.0 pistons.

One "possible" option is to change the crank and get the 3.0 pistons. 3.0's keep the same 82.5mm bore but gives you a larger stroke. This would give you a 3.0 bi-turbo. Just realize that to maximize this work you're going to need to get some custom tuning done. If you don't want to do that just overbore one size and forget it.

Also, I don't worry about the cast and forged pistons that much with Audi parts. All 1.8T's use cast pistons expect the 225 TT. And those 1.8T guys are putting a lot of stress on those pistons and they hold up just fine. (There's some debate about when Audi switched but mind you the B6's are cast pistons for sure)

Plus, if you REALLY wanted forged pistons there is always the JE option (or Eurospec) which isn't THAT expensive.

I'll let you know if the 2.8 and 3.0 pistons are cast or forged (if I ever figure it out myself).
Old 12-07-2003, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Oversized Pistons

Great please let me know what you find out re the 2.8l pistons being forged or not...mind you I priced out the factory 2.8 pistons and there not exactly cheap!!
Old 12-07-2003, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I doubt they are....

...forged. But I'm trying to figure it out just so I know for sure.

I was thinking about it after my last post and figured some JE pistons will probably end up being cheaper than stock 2.8 or 3.0 pistons (knowing what Audi parts cost). Plus, you'll more than likely have to drill oil drainback holes in the NA pistons.

I'll see what I can find out anyway.
Old 12-08-2003, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Just heard back from....

....my Audi "informant".

Looks like the 3.0 pistons (same bore as the 2.8) are forged. They are made by Mahle and also have a graphite <i>Ferroprint</i> coating on the side. They are a VERY high quality piston!

No direct info on the 2.8 but he's pretty sure they are also forged. Looks like Audi has been running forged pistons since the 5 cylinders (i.e. my NA 1990 CQ engine has forged pistons). He's not sure if the 2.8 pistons are coated though.

If the 3.0 pistons would match the 2.7 rods/wrist pins they would be the ones to get. Also, the 2.8 and 3.0 engines have oil squirters as well so you shouldn't have to worry about oil drainback holes (should already exist). Just depends on cost; as whether to go with JE OR Audi pistons.

Hope this helps!
Old 12-08-2003, 03:23 PM

Default Re: Just heard back from....

Wow, thats something to consider, I'll price those out at the dealer on Tues, thanks for the legwork.. I wonder what the compression would be using the 3.0 or 2.8 pistons?? hmm I know the JE are 8 1/2 to 1...
Old 12-08-2003, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default HIGH! :o) You would probably need to dish them and/or use thick headgaskets........

JE will probably be the cheapest and easiest way. But where's the fun in that, right?? :-)
Old 12-08-2003, 10:02 PM

Default Re: HIGH! :o) You would probably need to dish them and/or use thick headgaskets........

Your probably right I think I may have come up with something with JE I'll post soon and let you know what I've come up with. I also of course made a call to AWE to make sure I have the support software wise from Giac as the last thing I want is to finish this project only to have the car not run right!
Old 01-23-2004, 08:17 PM

Default Re: Oversized Pistons

Hi yall! Just wanted to post an update to this discussion. I decided to go for the J.E Forged pistons 8.5.1 Flat-top 81.5mm pistons(same used by KTR Performance on their project car) AWE-Tuning bits arrived including the Turbo upgrade kit, Twin 2 exhaust, downpipes, intercoolers, Lightweight flywheel and Rs4 clutch assembly. Sent the block away to be bored and had the crank polished while I was at it. Rather then spend too much money on RS4 intake manifold and heads, I ported and polished the intake manifold and the head. Hopefully the above will work nicely with the AWE-Tuning supplied GIAC X chip, but only time will tell. Does anyone have any idea of some nice tuneable software, failing the GIAC chip, perhaps revotechniq?? anyone heard or tried it? My only concern is the car won't be boosting to it's full capacity given the lower compression pistons.