S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Panoz Racing School...question for racers..

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2001, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Panoz Racing School...question for racers..

I am a solo driver and have been tracking my car for a number of years. I probably have over 15 club days under my belt and I have driven 7 different tracks.
My question is, does it make sense for someone with my experience to go to a racing school? I have never raced, I have only done lapping days. It is my understanding that racing school would help, but is it worth the cost??
I am planning on doing the three day school with my bro. I understand also that at the end I am qualified for my SCCA license??
I would love to hear some thoughts from some of you who have done a school like this.
thanks..
Old 11-16-2001, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default hehehehe...

the problem with street car track events and instruction is that the level of instruction is...arrummm...mixed. Also, driving a street car at alot of track days is going to make you have....arrumm...bad habits.

A formal racing school will do wonders. You might be surprised how difficult being as precise as they'll try to teach you might be.
Old 11-16-2001, 09:19 AM

Default An Answer:

Well to be blunt, yes, you need to go to racing school. While your experience level is clearly better than the "average" driver. You are still not a "race driver." There is no comparison between a street car and a racing car. They are two different animals. Tracking days are nice, and you learn valuable skills. However they are no substitute for a real learning program. Also, if you want to get SCCA licensed, or at least the basic Club/regional racing license you have two possible steps.

Here is a link: www.scca.org

One, you can attend 2 SCCA racing schools (where you bring your own racing car, equipment, etc...) and then compete in 2 SCCA races to qualify. Two, the better and easier route, attend a private racing school like Skip Barber or Panoz - and then compete in 2 SCCA events.

Here is a link: http://www.scca.org/amateur/club_racing/guide.html

I highly recommend Skip Barber for this reason. It offers the easiest stepping stone and progression to get a license and beyond... It also has the best instructional program setup and personalization of any racing school in the world (especially novices like you). Panoz is not bad, but I believe, and I think many here would agree that Barber is best. Here is a link for more information.

www.skipbarber.com

Unforunately, I have to leave right now for a meeting, but I hope this info helps. If you need more info, just ask, and I will try to answer more when I get back...
Old 11-16-2001, 09:21 AM

Default Well said. While some instructors at track days are "not bad" they are

not always that good either. I went to a track day once, when I was young, where the "instructors" were merely recent graduates of a pretty fishy "racing school" which was not even SCCA recognized... There is no substitute for the quality of instruction at a place like Bob Bondurant or Skip Barber...
Old 11-16-2001, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default An answer..

the Panoz Racing school is great. Great instructions and great cars.

The only thing that bothered me was the insurance.... $4000 deductible after you pay 300 for insurance. This is on top of a 2700 dollar fee.

I heard the hard core Skip Barber school is something like 4000 dollars... but there is no deductible... nothing else to worry about except DRIVE!!!

I'm sure you'll enjoy either one but when you have $4000 in the back of your mind, I don't think you'll be pushing the car to the limit which may make the whole class a waste.

just my oppinions.
Old 11-16-2001, 11:37 AM

Default Thanks for all the advice, looks like I'm on my way to school..

I'm a "weight distribution engineer" in training...hehe
Old 11-16-2001, 12:53 PM

Exactly, there is nothing to worry about at Skp Barber. You break it they pay for it!
Old 11-16-2001, 11:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Now that's how you really learn. None of this pulling punches and not

driving the car past the limit. That's the only way to know ... is to mess up a bunch of times so you know where the limit of adhesion is.

hehehehhe