S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

PearlWhiteS4 this is my final answer - it's GIAC and it SUCKS!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2001, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It really shouldn't matter if A.W.E. decides to stop selling race chips . . .

so long as Garrett & GIAC don't stop producing race chips. It just means you find another GIAC dealer to do business with. No offense to Todd, AWE, or GIAC (especially since I had a GIAC chip in my old Jetta GLI 16v), but it's his/their business decision to stop selling race & custom chips. Call DynoSpot or someone else and get the same products.
Old 08-27-2001, 07:59 PM
Elder Member

Default I think the real issue is...

If a chip was a one-off or special, then it's history needs to follow it somehow, with a disclaimer of sorts. If this chip was made for K-04s for example, that would be something I hope would be marked on the chip to prevent harm to cars which aren't running that particular set-up... It's apparently AWE's claim that this chip fell through the cracks, it seems like the cracks should be fixed, not cutting off the source, IMHO.
Old 08-27-2001, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default DUDE WHAT THE HELL. If the chip is REQUESTING 1.0 bar, and you're getting more then it's NOT

the chip having a problem!

It's something mechanical (wastegate on turbos) or some intake leak (or somesuch).

my guess why you don't see it with the stock chip is because the problem with the engine is not "tickled" when you're running stock levels of boost.

Or did I take too big of a hit off my crackpipe again?

-T
Old 08-27-2001, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Hard to fix the cracks....

How would Todd know where the chip is at all times? He can only track it so far as the initial buyer. If I buy a modified over standard chip, should I have to call Todd and let him know? Will this notification system work? Should the chip fry itself if removed and used in a car with a different VIN #?

Just thinking out loud. I don't think he should stop facilitating customers with special needs and requests. A lot of people count on Todd or any other manufacturer/vendor (edited) to do that, for a price.

If it were me, and I got a hold of a chip cheap, let's say, off of Ebay, then I would surely call up Todd before plugging in the darn thing. It could and probably did great harm to run that chip.
Old 08-27-2001, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default agreed

It's just that everyone thinks AWE is the "GIAC God" around here. I was just stating that there are other sources to get what you want from GIAC, the "newbies" don't know that. (And yes Jyoteen, you are nowhere close to a newbie in my book! :-P)
Old 08-27-2001, 08:11 PM
Elder Member

Default I was thinking of a sticker, personally. :)

I agree w/ you as well, I'm not saying AWE should assume responsibility for all GIAC chips, but the one's requested through him, more so. I also don't think they should stop selling special chips, but should have some more protections in place.
Old 08-27-2001, 08:16 PM

Default I have to say though...

I do not think AWE is the "GIAC God". No offense to AWE, and no flame to you, but I would never consider them for a chip. GIAC, Garrett, and Velocity are all local to me, so Velocity is my choice, and the choice of many in SoCal, and other places too.

I think you should get a chip locally, for support and updates. Mail order is cool, by why mail order when you can go local. AWE is a paid advertiser and gets lots of press, but I think Velocity may have a better GIAC relationship (just a guess) because they are both in SoCal. I don't think AWE has the IBE yet, while Velocity does and has installed them (one).

That said, it is unfortunate this whole affair came around. AWE got caught in the middle, and it could just have easily been Velocity. I paid for certain goods from Velocity and would never sell them, as they were meant for me. It was irresponsible of the seller on eBay, not AWE, GIAC, or Garrett.

Much ado about nothing.
Old 08-27-2001, 09:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Daphne, you and I must think alike. I couldn't get APR or Garrett to do the no cut off with brakes.
Old 08-27-2001, 09:41 PM

I don't understand what this means. Please explain the benefit of the throttle not cutting out.
Old 08-27-2001, 09:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default when did this happen?

and when did the customer pay for any problem Abt might have caused?

maybe you should confirm your info next time?

btw how many parts has AWE replaced on your car?

did you pay for a new tranny?

or was that "comped"?

Quick Reply: PearlWhiteS4 this is my final answer - it's GIAC and it SUCKS!