S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

PENSKE vs OHLIN>>>

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey bauer what spring rate are you running?
Old 11-28-2005, 10:22 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Looks like you're our man...once again!
Old 11-28-2005, 10:27 AM
Former Vendor

can you get me the sexy Ohlines gold springs ?
Old 11-28-2005, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Just throwing something against the wall here...

any dyno charts showing the difference in high speed adjustment on the ohlins? I know you guys tend to run lower nitrogen pressures (or so I remember hearing at some point in time) so I'm guessing the high speed adjustments are going to be even more neglegible than what I see on my comparable Penske 8100's... we're talking less than 50 pounds per inch on a lower pressure setting (from #1 position to #6 position on the canister).

*Penske 8100 canister only has adjustments numbering 1-6

I do change my high speed compression settings from time to time, but to be honest, I can't feel any change behind the wheel... and I wouldn't expect a professional driver to be able to feel the difference either:

crew: "how did that rumble strip feel on the exit?"

driver: "bumpy"
Old 11-28-2005, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You can't feel the difference?

I think the ohlin reservoirs have 20 adjustment clicks. I can definitely feel a difference with just a few clicks. It's most noticeable when giving small steering inputs to change lanes, etc. I'm no race car driver so it's tough to describe
Old 11-28-2005, 11:24 AM

Default i was hoping to also hear what tomasz has to say about penske ride harshness vs ohlins....(long)

..from speaking with him in the past, the impression i got from him was that penskes were good for the track, but he gave me the impression that if you dont plan on tracking much, penske is not the way to go....

on the other hand, there are numerous people on this board who will tell you that if you want great handling without significantly sacrificing ride quality then ohlins are the way to go EVEN IF YOU DON'T TRACK THE CAR OFTEN.

Essentially, from what i understand, for those of use who want crisp handling, no pogoing and STILL maintain a somewhat luxurious ride it is go ohlins or go home - i want to know wether penskes are up to the task in maintaining a comfortable ride.....

My current suspension is a non stasis koni based coilover that is poorly valved with soft springs (cough FK cough). in order to reduce the pogoging you have to crank up the rebound which makes going over road imperfections brutal. people swear by the stasis street sports as a cost effective semi aggresive setup, but from what i understand you have to set the rebound on full in the fronts on that setup also, so i am leary of it being a harsh ride also.

The effect of the damper on ride quality cannot be denied, and if penske is competing with the ohlins, then i want to know wether it can deliver the same ride quality as the ohlins
Old 11-28-2005, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You're talking low speed...

I'm refering to the high speed adjustments on the remote reservoir which affect how the wheel/tire acts as it travels through a high speed movement such as a pot hole, rumble strip. I could put more preload on the adjuster, but on the front of the car, with a good build, there is no need, IMO.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default be sure you're comparing apples to apples

I think part of the problem is the guys selling penskes offer various configurations, like no separate canisters, etc. They need to clarify so we can compare the one version of ohlins available to one of many versions of penskes.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:30 AM
Rest In Peace

Default If you want good ride quality at a good price, you don't need to jump all the way to Ohlins or

Penske. If you're considering STaSIS Street Sports, there are lots of other coilover options in that price range that deliver a nice ride quality. Are you not interested in track performance? If not, you have tons of options.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:36 AM

such as?

Quick Reply: PENSKE vs OHLIN>>>