S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Phenolic Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 06:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phenolic Spacers

Its that time of the month. my aux pump went. while im replacing the pump i want to do spacers since the manifold is off. I was looking at ones from Vast which are 10mm vs 034 motorsports 5mm. any idea which is better?? any fitment issues?? I feel like even at 10mm the y pipe & all other connections will still mount with no problems. Please correct me if im wrong.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have 10mm and everything is fine. Moreover, I also have 60# dekas on and these bump the fuel rail up by another 10mm and I am still ok.

Go for 10mm.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Whether or not phenolic spacers do anything beneficial is questionable. I thought the 034 option was about half the cost of the 10mm offerings. I suspect you'd be paying twice as much to gain nothing meaningful going with 10mm.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default options?

Is Vast the only 10mm spacer around? i dont mind paying the 160$ as long as its my best option. Im trying to figure this out asap so i have a running car for waterfest. does anyone kno if 078 965 561 is the correct part # for the Aux pump???
Old 06-12-2010, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

What do you mean by best option? Availability? Cost? I've already said there isn't likely to be any performance difference. It isn't a part that gets a lot of use, so there's going to be limited information available.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Maybe, maybe not. But the fact is that the manifold is bolted on top of the engine and it will soak the heat like a **** without something stopping it. The phenolic spacers come to play here. They are the "less power loss in heat" type of mod so you won't see much difference in day to day situation in cold climate, but once summer comes they will definitely help.

The are super effective with better ICs and especially meth injection. I checked couple of times manifold's temp by hand after some spirited driving and I was amazed that is literally felt cold in touch while anything below it was burning hot to touch The temp was a combined effect of spacers, meth and better ICs. I think that without spacers the heat would immediately travel between block and manifold and it wouldn't be that nice in there.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have a 1/8 inch set I will sell you for $50 shipped. Dropped 30 degrees on my intake manifold and power feels more consistant.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by hans j
I have a 1/8 inch set I will sell you for $50 shipped. Dropped 30 degrees on my intake manifold and power feels more consistant.
Could you post up the logs of that?

When I've looked into any measured gains from these I came up empty, the occasions where real measurements were taken, not "the manifold feels colder now" stuff, didn't show them to make a big difference, like your 30 degree difference which is significant. Also, care to guess how much time the air spends in the intake manifold, at a fraction of a second it is hard to believe the temperature of the intake air would be affected to the point that you can feel it in the cars performance.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I used this to test the outside of the manifold. I might have some logs somewhere from years ago but since the manifold is bolted to the head it gets all that heat transfered to the manifold. You can't say it hurts performance but if people are still charging $90 and $150 for some pieces of plastic, they must be convinced it is worth it...
Old 06-13-2010, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm not trying to claim it hurts performance, though longevity is a concern I have, how well the part holds up. Clearly if you stick a piece of insulating material between the engine block and intake manifold it will help to slow the transfer of some of the heat. But it is only slowing the transfer that occurs via conduction, the radiant and convective heat transfer will still be happening, and there's still going to be conductive heat transfer, just slower, so while for the first 30 minutes the manifold may be cooler than without, I'm betting that the benefit diminishes with time.

Quick Reply: Phenolic Spacers