S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Please give me some Winter Wheel/Tire advice for my S4: 16", 17", LM-22, Pilot Alpin?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2001, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please give me some Winter Wheel/Tire advice for my S4: 16", 17", LM-22, Pilot Alpin?

I'm in need of purchasing winter tires for my S4 very soon. I have several debates right now:

1. Do I get separeate winter wheels to go with the winter tires? Or, do I just get tires now and get new summer wheels in the spring and dedicate the stock wheels as my winter wheels? Cost is a factor, but I realize that saving money now will cost me more later, because I'd buy cheap winter wheels, but nicer summer wheels.

2. If I do choose to buy a wheel/tire package right now, should I get 16" or 17" wheels? What are the pros and cons of each. I live in Boston, where we get a decent amount of snow, but the roads are cleared pretty quickly. So, the majority of my driving will still be on dry pavement.

3. Which winter tire? I have looked at Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22, Dunlop Winter Sport M2, and Michelin Pilot Alpin. Someone at Tirerack seemed to prefer the LM-22's. Price is not a factor w/r/t to the tires. Are any of these choices noisy? Are any better for dry traction vs. traction on snow?

Thanks for any input you might have.
Old 11-15-2001, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Okay, here is my personal opinion...

As for wheels - I'd put the winter tires on the factory avus wheels, and get some nice summer wheels when the weather gets warmer. That way, you're spacing out your purchases; tires now, wheels later. Also, you can get wheels that will be 1/2 inch wider than stock for the summer, which look way better. There are also alot of wheels that are in the $200 range.

As for 16" or 17" - While 16 inch are normally narrower wheels requiring narrower tires (i.e., 205mm), which are better in the snow, the fact that you are getting winter tires will be adequate. So you can stay with 17s if you wish. I like the idea of having 17s for both so the car doesn't look funny for 5 months with smaller wheels. As I recommended, I am using the factory rims for the winter.

As for tires - you can go to the tire rack tests to read for yourself, but the gist of the most recent test was that the Blizzak is the best on ice, but sacraficed alot of performance in the dry winter conditions, or in snow. The Michelin Pilot Alpins were clearly the best in dry winter conditions and snow, not giving up very much over summer tires, and giving up only marginally to the blizzaks on ice. The pirelli's were rated worsed all around.

I ended up going with Pilot Alpins - 225/45 ZR 17 on the avus wheels.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-15-2001, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks. That was very helpul!
Old 11-15-2001, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Go with Michelin Pilot Alpins or Dunlop winter sports for your area

since you drive predominantly on dry roads. The Blizzaks are noiser and are a more dedicated snow tire. I think it might have a slower speed rating too. The Michelin and Dunlops are better for those cold dry days in Boston.
Even if you planned on a ski trip, you car will hold up much better than those tires that you have on.
I don't think the common driver will notice any significant difference b/w the blizzaks and Michelins. Unless you're in snow country and always driving your car. Get the michelins or dunlops for better preformance with OEM size on your stock wheels if you're going to shop for summer wheels/tires next year.
hope this helps.
Old 11-15-2001, 08:34 AM

you can easily do 205 on the Avus wheels as well, which will be better in the snow.
Old 11-15-2001, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I just put on the Pilot Alpins in a 205-50-hr17 and I am very impressed with their dry handling.

I am currently keeping my stock wheels but it cost me $52 on getting them mounted. If you buy antoher sett of wheels, you could pay for them in a couple of years if you switch 2 times a year. That is something to consider.
Old 11-15-2001, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Had the Dunlop M2's, Pilots are better everywhere! Go with the pilots.
Old 11-15-2001, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Keep in mind they tested the Blizzak MZ-01 in that test, not the LM-22.

LM-22 compares very well against the Michelin Pilot Alpin.
Old 11-15-2001, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default According to my wheel guy, with new machines that don't apply as much pressure to the bead to mount

and dismount, and don't touch the rim at all, it's not as bad on the tires/wheels as it once was.
Old 11-15-2001, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Point taken.

Quick Reply: Please give me some Winter Wheel/Tire advice for my S4: 16", 17", LM-22, Pilot Alpin?