S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Please let me know if my expectations of Stasis were wrong.....(long)

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please let me know if my expectations of Stasis were wrong.....(long)

I doubt many of you remember, but back in August I had the caliper carrier on my Stasis Motorsport Brake kit fail. <a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/2086505.phtml"> The carrier broke during a pad swap. </a>

Stasis reacted very quickly to get me a new set of carriers. A few days later, Stasis contacts me and asks me to confirm the part numbers on the carriers (these cannot be seen with removing the rotor). So back out I go and remove the brakes again. I email the part numbers. The carriers are different, but not to the point where performance is effected. They send me the correct replacement (the correct one was not available at the time). No big deal, I was happy to be able to use the car rather than wait several days for the 100% correct carrier to be shipped. I get the correct carrier and off come the brakes for the third time. At this point I am 100% satisfied with Stasis and their handling of my issue.

During all this carrier swapping, I was told that once the failure report is complete I will get a copy (a filtered copy--fit for external distribution). I asked if I caused the failure, was it my installation. I was told it was a factor relating to the failure was isolated to the time I got my kit, so it is no longer an issue. At this point, this is first of any news I have heard about the failure....and I had to ask for it. So a few weeks go by, I email asking about it. Not ready yet, but soon. I place a few calls...not ready. A few more weeks, I email again.....not ready. A month goes by and not a peep from Stasis. I get an alternate name to contact. Now we seem to be heading in the right direction. Then another lapse. I shot out another email, this one a little more pointed at the fact that I feel like I am being blown off. This time I get a call from the original contact. We have a long talk and I ask why he has never once asked if there anything they could do to compensate me for time, headache, loss of car (could not use the car for 2 days--it is my daily driver). Anything they could do make me feel better about sticking with them thru this. Not looking for a free set of Ohlins, but 10% off my set of pads...maybe just free shipping...anything????

Am I out of line thinking that something...anything as a gesture is merited? Was I wrong to think that periodic updates on the status of my situation should have been made, instead of me having to hound them out? Or is this issue too close to home for me to see it objectively? Seriously, I am looking for objectivity.

I adamantly defended Stasis when this first happened, but now....I am not sure if I would recommend them. I have a bit of a sour taste.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What they really should do, is give your friends who allow use of lifts free stuff...

anything less than that is just not right

I can guarantee Stasis one thing: If they give me free Ohlins and a set of Motorsport brakes, I will make you forget all about this little "incident".

On a serious note, it is a bit rediculous that you bought an expensive product, had a dangerous failure in a car that is frequently tracked and now cannot get any answers.

First, they sent you the WRONG carriers as replacements.

They didn't tell you, "We only have these, but they will work. Do you want them until we can get you the right ones?"

They sent you the wrong ones, you spent time installing them and then, later, called you when they realized you had the wrong ones.

Second, I know you pay very close attention to your car since you track it a lot. If something is wrong with the design of the carriers you should know it. And, so should everyone else. On the other hand, if they were installed wrong, they should tell you that too. Now, knowing there is only one way they can go on, I'm fairly certain they were installed correctly.

If that failure had happened at the exact wrong moment, you might not even be here to talk about it - - pretty scary. I cannot believe this has not been taken very seriously by them. If they are taking it seriously, then you should be kept in the loop with what they found. Honestly, if you were killed on the track, they would no longer exist as a company.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default hmmm. i dont have any stasis equipment, but quite surprised they treated you this way...

but if they send you free stuff, and jason doesnt already have it...you can send it my way! =)
Old 11-09-2005, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

it sounds like he got the parts ASAP, but still hasn't gotten the failure analysis . . . .
Old 11-09-2005, 01:09 PM

I don't see what the problem is. It broke, they replaced it...end of story.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think both sides are right.

Thay acted properly and within what we would consider fair behavior - they replaced failed parts quickly.

As to the failure report... I doubt that anyone there wrote such a thing. They examined the parts, got an idea what went wrong and fixed it. The report you are asking for is extra paperwork that they just did not want to do. And I think that is OK. I have noit seen H&amp;R post a report on blow shocks, etc.

What you are asking or suggesting is that they should have gone a step further. They should have offered a token - 10% off brake pads or free shipping. I think they would have... but the person you were dealing with was probably to focused on the issue to even think about it.

But I learned from this, and will try my hardest to keep that in mind.

BTW, what did they say when you suggested this to them?
Old 11-09-2005, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 2nd that. They're a not obligated to compensate you for anything.

That like saying if you're car breaks and you need to take it in under warranty they should pay you because you couldn't drive your car that day. BS.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm not up on brake lingo.. what's the carrier?

Is it the bracket that bolts to the upright, then the brake caliper bolts to it? Is it made of aluminum? If so, that would help to explain the failure it in my mind. Aluminum is very touchy if there are any sharp edges created during machining. If I recall, it's called stress concentration.

This is the $3800 brake kit, right? With that kind of money spent, I don't think you're out of line at all. You spent the money for the best, and they should have some of the best support.

I was slightly disappointed that my rear ohlins have a rattle sound when they move, due to not having enough internal shims or something. I'm just too lazy to take them off to ship back to stasis to be fixed. The only time it really bothers me is when someone rides in the back and asks why my "german car" is rattling around
Old 11-09-2005, 02:09 PM

did you have to pay for shipping to them?
Old 11-09-2005, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

his original post (in link) says no.

Quick Reply: Please let me know if my expectations of Stasis were wrong.....(long)