S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Is it possible for a turbo to go out without smoke/oil leaks?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it possible for a turbo to go out without smoke/oil leaks?

Is it possible for a turbo to just stop working, without any noticable visible reactions?
Old 08-07-2005, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

How about a block 115 log. If you can't make boost, might be your turbos, might be something else.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes. Mine went that way. Just some extra noise and no boost.

When I took the turbos out one had several fins missing.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:44 PM
Elder Member

Yes, absolutely.
Old 03-09-2020, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Going to have my turbo screens replaced in my '13 s8 and then APR it.
Has there been any updates to the recommendations to prevent the failure? What is the most current TSB / parts list to provide the service center?
Looks like an additional 4K to go from stage APR stage 1 to stage 2 (installed) is it worth it?
Old 03-16-2020, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2013 Audi A8L 4.0T

Hi everyone, despite my warranty being expired, AND my CPO extension, Audi stepped up to help out. Yuuuuuuuge.
The following users liked this post:
RLB (07-20-2022)
Old 07-03-2020, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 2013 audi s8

I bought my 2013 S8 two months ago with 68k km , im in vancouver . First week I went and i got stage1 apr which is a tune software. Huge difference. But I love the car and i love speed .so 3 weeks later I went back and got stage 2 apr with down pipes and stage 2 software .definilty sound way better because of the down pipes .still kept the stock exhaust , i don't want to draw attention because if i change the cat back with millteck the car will be way too loud....monday July 6th i have an appointment to a dyno place in maple ridge, bc. On paper with 91 octane it should have 677hp . Somewhere 520-540whp , but i will see exactly after the dyno pulls how much whp will have .I've been reading alot about the oil screen and turbo failure premature. Ive been talking with PG performance in surrey and they been talking with sillyrabbit motorsports about going to stage 3 , turbo upgrade .now they are some turbo upgrades +4mm srm ball bering but the apr tune doesn't support this upgraded turbos. .instead DS1 tune from dyno spectrum have a tune for that. I'm waiting for an estimate for doing the turbo upgrades, delete the oil screen , gaskets , water pump , etc etc etc . The way it sound im looking somewhere around 15k cad .my only problem i have now is apr has a 30 day policy if u delete their tunning. It was 2800 cad for stage 1 and 4200 cad to upgrade to stage 2 apr . When u get the apr downpipes the stage 2 software its a free upgrade .being past 30 days if i delete the stage 2 apr tune and upgrade to stage 3 turbos and DS1 tune pretty much the downpipes cost me 7k ....so thats a lot of money to throw out . If I don't do the upgrade to stage 3 and keep the stage 2 apr I have to open up the engine and replace the oil screen or even delete it .but than that's around 2k cad to do the work ....and if they get to the turbos and they have a play or who knows what ill be in the same position with upgrading to ****ers. Oem turbos if they fail at audi dealership is around 14k cad .that's why i better spend 15k cad for stage 3 but in the same time im thinking about the 7k i spend already for apr .big dilema ....

This is my baby
Old 12-12-2020, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Audi.S8.fun
I bought my 2013 S8 two months ago with 68k km , im in vancouver . First week I went and i got stage1 apr which is a tune software. Huge difference. But I love the car and i love speed .so 3 weeks later I went back and got stage 2 apr with down pipes and stage 2 software .definilty sound way better because of the down pipes .still kept the stock exhaust , i don't want to draw attention because if i change the cat back with millteck the car will be way too loud....monday July 6th i have an appointment to a dyno place in maple ridge, bc. On paper with 91 octane it should have 677hp . Somewhere 520-540whp , but i will see exactly after the dyno pulls how much whp will have .I've been reading alot about the oil screen and turbo failure premature. Ive been talking with PG performance in surrey and they been talking with sillyrabbit motorsports about going to stage 3 , turbo upgrade .now they are some turbo upgrades +4mm srm ball bering but the apr tune doesn't support this upgraded turbos. .instead DS1 tune from dyno spectrum have a tune for that. I'm waiting for an estimate for doing the turbo upgrades, delete the oil screen , gaskets , water pump , etc etc etc . The way it sound im looking somewhere around 15k cad .my only problem i have now is apr has a 30 day policy if u delete their tunning. It was 2800 cad for stage 1 and 4200 cad to upgrade to stage 2 apr . When u get the apr downpipes the stage 2 software its a free upgrade .being past 30 days if i delete the stage 2 apr tune and upgrade to stage 3 turbos and DS1 tune pretty much the downpipes cost me 7k ....so thats a lot of money to throw out . If I don't do the upgrade to stage 3 and keep the stage 2 apr I have to open up the engine and replace the oil screen or even delete it .but than that's around 2k cad to do the work ....and if they get to the turbos and they have a play or who knows what ill be in the same position with upgrading to ****ers. Oem turbos if they fail at audi dealership is around 14k cad .that's why i better spend 15k cad for stage 3 but in the same time im thinking about the 7k i spend already for apr .big dilema ....

This is my baby
Hello, it is very interesting what turbo hybrids you were offered for stage 3 and what increase in power will be and at what level of boost.. In General, the opinion of A8 owners is interesting , do they want to get a power close to 800 HP ?
Old 01-31-2022, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I started a separate thread about my recent news (double turbo failure) and a $9K bill from the Audi dealer. Each OE Turbo is $2200 ($4400 in total) and the labor is about $3300 minus some diag time. I've got a local Audi/VW shop that's willing to do it for way less on the labor rate but after reviewing this thread it only appears that Silly Rabbit Motorsports are the non-OE turbo replacement options. True? Any other suggestions of brands that make non-OE turbos that will work? Appreciate the help...getting ready to sell my liver to pay for this. Ugh.
Old 03-01-2022, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You must have the magic touch. How did you approach AoA to get them to help defer some or all the replacement cost??
The following users liked this post:
RLB (07-20-2022)

Quick Reply: Is it possible for a turbo to go out without smoke/oil leaks?