S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Possibly faster launches - the proper way to disable EDL/ABS (v2)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2002, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possibly faster launches - the proper way to disable EDL/ABS (v2)

Something I've been meaning to post, and keep forgetting. This came as a result of my extreme hate for ABS in the snow. (See below why I hate ABS)

For those of you that drag the S4, and for those that just can't stand ABS (like me), you might want to disable EDL/ABS. EDL on the 2000's (not sure how 2001's and ESP handle it) will brake the spinning wheel (under a certain speed), throwing away power.

To disable EDL/ABS - do not pull the fuse, instead pull the pump connector on the bottom of the ABS unit.

Pulling the fuse does 2 things wrong:
1) Sends a "rough road signal" to the ECU, causing the ECU to smooth the accelerator pedal response (something the ABS unit reports to the ECU so on rough road your foot doesn't cause the throttle to bounce all around - computer filters it when the signal is high).

2) Shuts down the auto proportioning valve, and sometimes will cause it to over proportion to the rear.

Pulling the pump connector causes a fault in the ABS unit, shutting down EDL and ABS, but leaving all other functions working properly.

You can also pull the entire ABS connector, but that leaves the multipin connector open to dirt and still messes up the proportioning (front-rear) system.

Of course a better way would be a vag recode to turn it off, but I haven't found that yet.

Why do I recommend disabling ABS if you are comfortable sliding? One of the goals of ABS is to keep the car from rotating, without the driver applying any countersteer. If you have 2 wheels (on the same side) on a low-traction surface, ABS will limit the braking on the other side to match the side on the low-traction surface (to prohibit the car from rotating). This is why you may sometimes notice that if you have 2 wheels on broken or bumpy pavement, the ABS engages for the entire car and you feel you can't stop. If you have 2 wheels on ice (on the shoulder) and the other 2 on water, you will almost have no stopping ability. A decent driver in this situation can lock up the 2 shoulder wheels, countersteer slightly and stop in a reasonable distance.

Of course, I don't take any responsibility for those that try this.

my $.02
Enjoy
-Dan
Old 10-13-2002, 06:12 PM

Default or---

you might just buy something MADE for drag racing http://www.johnforce.com instead of trying to get blood from a turnip IMHO<ul><li><a href="http://www.johnforce.com">http://www.johnforce.com</a</li></ul>
Old 10-13-2002, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Is there a way to disable EDL/ABS via VAG?
Old 10-13-2002, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yeah, but then mcdonalds would be out of business,

because americans are TOO GOOD for flipping (excuse me, i meant MICROWAVING) burgers.
Old 10-13-2002, 06:52 PM

dont care for my new famous quote of the week? lol 8^p
Old 10-13-2002, 08:40 PM

Thanks for the info!!
Old 10-13-2002, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Rather than unplugging, wouldn't it be nice to have a weatherproof switch? on/off?
Old 10-13-2002, 10:04 PM

Where is the ABS unit, and where is the connector located in relation to the pump
Old 10-13-2002, 10:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

someone needs to take a pic (hint, hint)
Old 10-14-2002, 04:27 AM

Default Switch to disable, VAG and location of connector

I don't know of anyway to disable it via VAG, and you wouldn't want to in the winter unless you keep your laptop with you. I have run into a few situations where I've burried the car so deep that I need to plug the pump back to enable EDL to get all 4 wheels pulling me out (otherwise you can end up with 2 wheels spinning and 2 doing very little).

Regarding a weatherproof switch, I've been trying to get around to putting a switch inside (in the ESP location (2000) to toggle the ABS unit on and off.). Maybe this winter I'll get to it and include instructions on how to do it. It's non-trivial since the ESP switch is a momemtary... Means I have to build a latching circuit. Otherwise a relay and a normal switch would do it.

Location: I'll post another msg (and add onto this one) later this week after I take picts. For now - there is a wire that comes from the motor-looking thing on the ABS unit (3 inches in diameter) to the underneath of the square ABS box. There is a connector there with a release that has to be pushed OUT from the ABS box. I used a small flat head from above, since the release sticks out over the side of the ABS unit. It's hard to describe; pics and more details to follow.

Quick Reply: Possibly faster launches - the proper way to disable EDL/ABS (v2)