S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Power Steering whine after Timing Belt replacement...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering whine after Timing Belt replacement...

Cars been in the shop getting the 90k service done. Timing belt, cam seals, valve covers...etc Anyways all went well except the mechanic said when he started up the car the power steering was very loud. He said it was very low on fluid and so he filled it up and inspected for leaks and found none. Once filled up it was much less noticeable, I didn't even notice it when I picked the car up (it was not a cold start, its worse when cold it seems)...

My car was towed because the idler pulley went out and so I lost power steering. I didn't turn the wheel much when it was loaded on the flat bed however I am pretty sure when it was pulled in the shop the steering would have need to be used quite a bit due to the parking lot. Since then it has gotten a bit louder and I've noticed a few times some gurgling or faint knocking when turning the steering wheel. I also dont recall the noise before the repair but not sure if the mechanic would have needed to remove anything when working on the car...Anyways bottom line few questions:

1) Could the pump have been damaged when operating the steering wheel without the pump being operations (wouldn't think so)
2) Could the noise be coming from something else, seems to fluctuate slightly with the steering and engine speed. Low pitch whine...I will try to take a sound clip.
3) If there is air in the system it should work its way out right?
4) why would my fluid have been low? don't really understand that, I mean its got to go somewhere? Could there be a leak somewhere and it not draining out but into somewhere internal or boot of some sort?

I plan on taking the car back in if the sound isn't gone but just not sure how long I should wait. But would like to be educated a bit before I do... any help you could provide would be helpful!

Thanks,

Justin
Old 07-30-2010, 09:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

funny, because the same thing is happening to me now literally as we speak, i just got the car back from my timing belt service and now im getting a power steering like whine but i noticed more only when I turn left
Old 07-31-2010, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Interesting...well if you figure out the issue let me know and I'll do the same Good Luck!
Old 07-31-2010, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I guess the question is what power steering fluid they used. If they used generic one, it will damage audi power steering system in short order. You're supposed to use audi/pentosin fluid only.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I can ask but I'm pretty sure it was audi fluid. I actually think the biggest question is where did the fluid go? The mechanic said it was really loud when he started it up for the first time after the TB install. Then he looked at the fluid and it was really low. He added fluid which helped significantly reduce the noise, after some driving he said it got better however not completely gone.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by nobodeuno
I can ask but I'm pretty sure it was audi fluid. I actually think the biggest question is where did the fluid go? The mechanic said it was really loud when he started it up for the first time after the TB install. Then he looked at the fluid and it was really low. He added fluid which helped significantly reduce the noise, after some driving he said it got better however not completely gone.
The PS system can leak a number of places. The hose connections can be bad after being moved out of the way. I would have the fluid replaced with known good fluid.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So could I do this pretty easily but just suctioning out the fluid and adding new known good pentosin fluid? Or would I need to bleed it somehow?

Thanks in advance!

Actually I will do a few searches I'm sure this is in the archives
Old 08-02-2010, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

1) Could the pump have been damaged when operating the steering wheel without the pump being operations (wouldn't think so)
2) Could the noise be coming from something else, seems to fluctuate slightly with the steering and engine speed. Low pitch whine...I will try to take a sound clip.
3) If there is air in the system it should work its way out right?
4) why would my fluid have been low? don't really understand that, I mean its got to go somewhere? Could there be a leak somewhere and it not draining out but into somewhere internal or boot of some sort?
1. no
2. probably ps bearings
3. yes
4. most likely a leak
Old 08-03-2010, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jamesdmanley
1. no
2. probably ps bearings
3. yes
4. most likely a leak
Thanks I appreciate the info! On Question #2 If it were the PS bearings then why would the ps bearings sound get more quiet when adding fluid? Maybe they were under more load when I was running low on fluid?
Old 08-03-2010, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks I appreciate the info! On Question #2 If it were the PS bearings then why would the ps bearings sound get more quiet when adding fluid? Maybe they were under more load when I was running low on fluid?
that would be exactly my guess. also with more fluid it should dissipate heat better, but im no mechanic i just like spinning wrenches

Quick Reply: Power Steering whine after Timing Belt replacement...