S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

problems with my new tranny

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problems with my new tranny

ok so i posted before that when i was in fl my car got joy riden and came back to me with a blown tranny when it was in the shop for brakes. So i got the car back and still had to pay a grand and the dealer covered the rest however i am now back in pa and i started to notice on my trip back up that the tranny was having a dificult time getting into sixth i thought it was just that it was really warm from the 18hr drive home. Well i have been home now for two weeks and last night the tranny completly gave out i dont know what happened now but i dont have reverse, 1st, 6th and possibly not 2nd. Whats really weird to me is that it feels as if there are no shift forks at all in the tranny so i am wondering if anyone else had this problem before or if its just a case that i had incompetant mechanics screw me over again. If so the tranny will be payed for by them under warranty so any advice would be appreciated.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default was the shifter aligned correct when the tranny was put in?

These transmissions are weak.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yea... try realigning the linkage first....

follow the procedure as if you're installing a short shifter or the like. There's only one or two nuts/bolts to loosen and tighten.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:23 PM

Default Re: problems with my new tranny

ok so i got my problem fixed it was just a bolt that wasnt tightened down. however when it was in the shop i told the dealer about the problem i had in florida when the other dealership blew the tranny and told me they put a new one in and thats why i had to pay $1200 and they were going to cover the diffrence because it was their fault. So to my surprise i find out that the tranny that is in my car is not new at all and in fact its two diffrent tranny's bolted together they took the front have with the gearing in it and bolted it to the transfer case apparently so now my question is what do you do about a dealer who charged me 1200 dollars for something i didnt get. Do you think legal actions would be a wise route or just contact the dealer and see if i can get my 1200 back or a brand new tranny like they said they were going to do in the first place? Any input would be appreciated.