S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Programming new switchblade remote/key?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2002, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Programming new switchblade remote/key?

Quick question regarding programming a new switchblade remote/key for 2000 S4:

A couple of weekends ago I thought I lost my key (car bought used, only came with one). I found it, but decided I should get a spare just in case. Well, after shelling out the $115 for the key, I was told I'd have to also schedule a service appt. to have it programmed; charge: additional $125 for an hour's labor!

So, I wonder if I can do this myself. I looked through the tech section and found some articles regarding programming the key, but it appears after following the instructions that I can only get one or the other of my remotes (old and new) to work at a time, not both at the same time. Can I program both remotes to work with my car simultaneously by myself, or will I just have to suck it up and pay the hour labor charge to the dealer?

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 09-17-2002, 08:33 AM

Default Re: Programming new switchblade remote/key?

you can do it yourself because I've done it once before but I don't exactly remember.

It's something like stick the first key in the ignition and turn it to the "on" position without turning on the engine.

Step out of the car and lock the door with the second key and then remove from door. Press the "lock" button and hold.

That's probably wrong, but a search through the archives should turn up the proper steps.

BTW, a spare remote/key cost me $65 with a audi car club discount.
Old 09-17-2002, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default close but something more like:

1.) put the working key in the ignition in the on position (but not engine on).
2.) put the non-working key in the door and turn it and hold for a minute

if 2 doesn't work then it is hold the button down for a minute I think.
(basically I got a bad key so they gave me a new one and the service guy came over and set it up for me. It literally only takes 1 minute so just be nice and ask for a little help). They shouldn't charge you for it.
Old 09-17-2002, 08:47 AM

Default SOLVED Re: Programming new switchblade remote/key?

Yay! I did some more fiddling and solved my own problem. In case anyone's interested, here's what I did. The instructions are "sort of" there in the tech section, but I think I can make it more clear.

You have two key/remotes: I'll call them key1 and key2

1) Unlock your door, put key1 in the ignition, turn 1 "click" to accessory and roll down the driver's window

2) Get out of the car, close the door, and put key2 in the door lock

3) lock the door by turning key2

4) press the unlock button on the remote (key2) once, the lights flash

5) unlock the door by turning key2, and then lock it again by turning key2

6) Remove key2 from the door lock and press the unlock button to unlock the door

7) Get in the car, turn off and remove key1 from the ignition. Insert key2 into the ignition and switch to accessory/1st "click"

8) Get out, close the door and insert key1 into the door lock

9) Lock the door by turning key1

10) Press the unlock button on the remote (key1) <b>twice</b>, lights flash twice

11) Unlock and lock the door by turning key1

12) Remove key1 from the door lock and unlock the door by pressing the unlock button

13) Remove key2 from the ignition, test both remotes by trying the lock, unlock, and panic buttons

That should do it! At least, it worked for me.

Jeff