S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

PROPER PHATBOX INSTALL - S4 and S4 AVANT

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PROPER PHATBOX INSTALL - S4 and S4 AVANT

First, thanks to all who have posted--you have helped me many times. I have decided to do my part, so here goes.

WHAT: I am writing to tell all fellow B5 S4 and S4 AVANT owners the factory LOCATION for the PHATBOX, how to determine it, and why I think it is better, on balance, than the method suggested in the forums (putting it in the cd changer compartment). All my comments are based upon the installation in my 2001 S4 AVANT (Imola, baby, yeah!).

BOTTOM LINE: The phatbox is meant to be mounted with two "L" shaped brackets to the trunk liner on the driver's side near the suspension tower (i.e. "fore" or towards the nose of the car form where the cd changer compartment is). BTW, I LOVE MY PHATBOX!!! What a deal for $170!

Why is this better? You do not have: 1. to crimp the cable due to limited clearance (something everyone posting here remarks on as an issue); 2. to cut a hole in the door to the compartment so the cartridge can fit; and 3. to have the cartridge poking out into the rear compartment in as vulnerable a location. What is not as good as putting it in the cd changer compartment? The entire unit is exposed in the "trunk" of my Avant, and will take up more room and be more liable to get knocked. I do not thing the unit is likely that delicate, and would guess that crimped cable and exposed cartridge are much more likely over time mot cause problems. But this way, each owner can judge for themselves.

MANUAL ONLINE: You can download the FACTORY .pdf installation instructions here: http://www.phatnoise.com/audi/support.htm

MY STORY: I bought my unit on ebay for $170 with shipping from an Audi dealer. The fact that no install brackets were included did not bother me as I planned to install it in the cd changer slot with Velcro as shown here in the forums--which I did (and will now likely redo). I followed the detailed and photo accompanied instructions of a fellow poster here and put the phatbox in the compartment made for the 6 CD changer in the back of my 2001 S4 Avant. (This "compartment" is behind a small cover/door in the rear "trunk" on the driver's side of the car, identical to the one that houses the tool kit and jack on the passenger side). Ok, it works simply and flawlessly with my Bose Symphony stereo and I love it!!! And the phatbox cartridge poking out of the custom hole I had to cut in the cover/door of the cd changer slot looks cool. BUT, its not right, subjects the cartridge to potential damage from objects in the back area and also, I had to crimp the cable (which the install instructions specifically tell you not to do) to fit it in! There is no avoiding this, at least on the Avant--the compartment is just not deep enough

If you can't find or don't want to buy the brackets for install, you can install it like I did, and according to the postings I found here. Having done that, I think it makes sense to install as the factory instructs, and so I am going to redo it once I buy the brackets (although I think it would be pretty easy to fashion some brackets, too, as they are just L-shaped metal. If I can buy them for $25 or less, I won't bother.)

P.S. If I remember, I'll take pictures of both set-ups so everyone can see.<ul><li><a href="http://www.phatnoise.com/audi/support.htm">http://www.phatnoise.com/audi/support.htm</a</li></ul>
Old 08-14-2006, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default What am I missing?

I have it in my sedan, in the CD changer location in the trunk. I have no problems with cable crimping, or the cartridge sticking out. The cover goes back on the compartment fine.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

mine slid right in also, 30 sec install
Old 08-14-2006, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 2nd, there's literally NO problem

Cover fits fine, wire's not crimped etc. I suspect this to be the case for everyone (at least with sedans)
Old 08-14-2006, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

3rd. There is no problem. Fully covered - no DMS cart sticking out . Maybe different for Avants?
Old 08-14-2006, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Avant's are different. STFA. i had to cut a hole in the cover for mine too.