S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

PSA: AWE Stage 3 cold start misfires are software related. (in my experience)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PSA: AWE Stage 3 cold start misfires are software related. (in my experience)

I had been running stock ECU with AWE KO4 kit and the cold start misfires were not a problem at all. Its not the injectors, MAF, etc...

As soon as i switched back to the AWE ECU, the car almost stalls out on cold starts...thats one thing i didnt miss, but its so nice having the power back!

FWIW, the AFR on both softwares is ~14.7 at warm up.

oh well...
Old 07-29-2006, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Have you compared this to other AWE stg3'ers with same ECU/SOFTWARE?
Old 07-29-2006, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

as far as i know, many other people with this kit have cold start misfire issues as well..
Old 07-29-2006, 07:01 AM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guess I'll just run the stock ECU then. Who really cares about 200hp anyway? ;-P
Old 07-29-2006, 07:09 AM

Default Can you give some other impressions of your setup

Daily driving, stop and go traffic, peak boost and sustained boost pressure. I'm interested in going this route.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default actually, i did some logging yesterday, and i am getting throttle cut...

i have no idea why... im running the kit straight out of the box. My boost spikes to 25psi, then drops to 17-18 and holds to redline. its very smooth at part throttle and great for daily driving.

It is much faster with the boost controller, but its not as smooth at all. Im power hungry, so ill be putting the boost controller in later today.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default May sound weird but.....FWIW

I usually don't beat on my car too much, however one day I drove the living shieet out of it for about 1/2 hour. Next day get in the car and....vroom no cold start issue. It's been 3+ weeks with no cold start issues.

Before it was really bad...my car use to never start the 1st time, it would always cut off.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

hmm..wierd. do you get throttle cut? do you also spike to 25? i thought that was a little crazy...
Old 07-29-2006, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default your boost spikes/dips seem like they'd be from your "Evo" intake...if you are running it.........

couple things/questions Josh. IIRC, you were running the Evo intake with the standard stock Airbox file?

1) are you running a flow straightener with the Evo?
2) your MAF readings must be fluctuating all over, hence why your boost might be all over the place

AH10 and I did about 5 logs with ECUx last night. I switched back to the AWE Stock Airbox file and put the Airbox with Darintake back in. Car runs consistent 4.3 FATs in 77-95 degree ambient on 92 Octane. I tried running my EVO intake/and or X-1 racer with the stock Airbox file and it ran like crap. MAF readings were super low, and boost was all over the place. You "might" be seeing the same prob? Anyways...they are "REDOING" the Evo file as we speak. Todd@AWE just bought an Evo this week and they are going to tune it on their Dyno. Should be about 2-3 weeks for the revision to come out. The Evo file drives pretty nice.....makes good power, and has no Coldstart issues (i don't have Coldstart issues with the current stockbox file either). But the Evo file needs to be fixed in the Part-Throttle/cruising department (richness). You might want to try out this file once they update it. Just a little FYI. Either way good luck getting the Coldstart fixed.

PS How much boost were you running with the MBC? So you were running TCD and the MBC in parallel to your N75 correct? How much timing/fuel did you add? Just wondering since I've been thinking about trying this out. TIA
Old 07-29-2006, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default you def should not see 25 psi....the AWE kit is supposed to see about 21-22 Spike peak......

and about 20 at redline. Last night, I was seeing 21ish Spike and 20.5 PSI at Redline. What are your FATs anyways with the AWE kit straight (no tweaks)?

Quick Reply: PSA: AWE Stage 3 cold start misfires are software related. (in my experience)