S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Q for other Nokia Car Kit adopters...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-1999, 08:25 AM
AvramD

Default Q for other Nokia Car Kit adopters...

Does anyone w/ the Nokia car kit hear touch tones when dialing? I don't, but I'm wondering if something is wrong with my kit. Or if perhaps I made a non-critical mistake when building the adapter boxes.

It seems like it should be no problem to play those tones through the speaker while the stereo is still going. Did they just not think of it?

No obviously once the kit has muted the stereo, you do hear them, but that's not the case during initial dialing, before the connection has been established.
Old 12-19-1999, 09:03 AM
Jared

Nope, I don't either .. Professionally installed using in door speaker.
Old 12-19-1999, 10:21 AM
JohnC

Default Not supported by the Nokia kit

Not a characteristic of the S4- the Nokia kit just doesn't output the tones to the speaker.

-JohnC
Old 12-19-1999, 12:24 PM
Jared

If the normal nokia speaker is used, it seems to work! Guess it has to do with the intergration.
Old 12-19-1999, 01:47 PM
AvramD

Default Whoa! You're right! Hey, Jim D'A - Can you add anything to this?

Jim, did you figure out the wiring of your StarTac kit yourself? Or did you base it on the FAQ for the Nokia kit? Do you know if there's something "wrong" in the FAQ that fails to activate the speaker leads when radio mute signal is not present? Or better yet, do you know if your StarTac kit is doing something extra to activate those wires <b>without</b> muting the stereo? Is it possible that there is more than one signal that the Audi is "listening" for on that radio mute wire?

Jared is right. I just plugged headphones into the Nokia kit, and it does produce touch tones even before the radio has been muted.

At the same time, the car's phone/nav speaker does not produce any sound coming from the telephone internal telephone wiring harness' speaker pair unless it's getting a signal from the kit to mute the radio.

I even plugged a walkman into it & cranked it. I also tried disconnecting the car kit completely, and pumping sound into the speaker pair, and still nothing, unless the radio is in "phone" mode.

It's clear the Nokia kit is "trying" to make the tones when dialing, but the Audi is failing to respond to them.

I did another test, out of curiosity: I hookt an ohmmeter up to the Audi's speaker pair. It does pass a current, w/ about 150 ohms resistance, whether the radio is in phone mute mode or not - it doesn't not change.

I'm wondering if either the FAQ has missed a wire in the trunk's junction box, or if the Nokia kit doesn't produce the right signal to get the pre-connect tones to come out. If it's the latter, I'm thinking that either with a correction of the junction box, or with the right harness of resistors supplying the right voltage to something (the radio mute wire?), we'll be able to get the Audi to produce the touch tones.

I'm not going to be able to figure this out on my own though - this isn't my field! If it was Ethernet, <b>then</b> I could help us out 8-)
Old 12-19-1999, 02:48 PM
Jim De Arras

Default My installation plays the touch tones, but does mute the radio.

The radio comes back between tones, and after the last tone, until the far end starts ringing.

This is my Audi pinout list, derived from the various FAQs and posts. The pins listed as N/C are unconfirmed, they may be "mystery" functions!

Audi/Motorola DB-25 pinout:

1. RJ-45 Pin 7
2. N/C
3. Ground
4. Unswitched 12v
5. Switched 12v
6. RJ-45 Pin 8
7. N/C
8. RJ-45 Pin 2
9. N/C
10. Stereo Mute (5v logic levels, pull down to mute)
11. RJ-45 Pin 3
12. RJ-45 Pin 4
13. N/C
14. Mike - (Also Shield for RJ-45 Pin 7, 8)
15. Mike + (Mike likes 10k to 12v bias, for about 5v on this pin)
16. Unswitched 12v
17. Ground
18. RJ-45 Pin 5
19. Speaker +
20. Mike Shield
21. N/C
22. N/C
23. RJ-45 Pin 1
24. RJ-45 Pin 6
25. Speaker -
Old 12-19-1999, 05:34 PM
Jared

I bet the Radio has to get the mute signal, in order to Pass sound to the speaker.
Old 12-19-1999, 08:22 PM
AvramD

Default Ahh - So close, and yet so far... So here are our options:

1) put in a manual toggle switch that forces radio mute, so we can hear the touch tones (not too hard, but where would you put the button? It would probably look amature).

2) Run a whole seperate wire all the way to the door speaker from the car kit, so they're always connected (might cause interference or feedback, might be to low level output to hear - but probably not since original kit's speaker is unpowered, probably would be a lot of work)

3) Put the original kit's speaker behind the dashboard on the shelf w/ the kit itself, and splice it in. I'm thinking this might work pretty well - it would be a little buried, so the tones might be hard to hear, but hey, better than nothing. I have no idea if there would be an accoustic or electric negative impact from having 2 speakers - maybe it would cut down the signal strength making you need to turn the phone volume up higher.

Some of you may wonder what the big deal is - so you don't hear the tones, who cares, right? Well, personally, I find the 61xx phones lend themselves readily to blind dialing. The buttons are easy to navigate by feel, esp. with the "braille" center landmark.

I like to keep my eyes on the road when I'm driving (and dialing), and the sound of the tones is how I know if I've misdialed the number. Of course I glance at the display before I hit "talk" but if I can hear the tones, I can usually tell when I've made a mistake w/out looking. Also, it saves in the event that you didn't realize you were in the address book, in which case blind dialing 10 digits simply looks up 10 different people in your address book - not to useful 8-)

I'll try out suggestion 3 when I get a chance & let everyone know how it works out!
Old 12-20-1999, 07:09 AM
Tim

Default Perhaps Nokia doesn't ground the radio mute during dialing

Maybe it produces the dialing tones while the radio plays, but only mutes the radio when pickup happens.

How hard would it be to add a circuit which grounds the radio mute when sound is sent along the speaker outputs.

"Radio mute = radio mute | speaker active"

Tim