S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Question regarding front end collision implications/consequences in the S

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 10:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question regarding front end collision implications/consequences in the S

Well, I hit a guardrail tonite due to underestimating an unfamilar turn, and having stock 70k mile suspension. The combination of the two caused me to fishtail off the exit ramp, into a metal guardrail. The parts of the car that sustained external damage were the passenger side fender, (passenger side) bumper, and hood. Passenger headlight is done too. No obvious fluid leaking.

I hit it at a decent speed, although no airbags deployed. Once I came to a hault, the engine had a weird sound to it...and eventually died.

Car was towed to body shop, I was cited by State Trooper (who didn't witness it), and here I am.

My question is what engine components are in that passenger side area? I'm wondering what sort of internal damage might have been sustained. The egine shut off, so that concerns me...

I don't think its total (no airbags/frame damage).

Thoughts?
Old 08-05-2006, 10:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine could have died due to broken/torn hoses and or damaged intercooler -

That an optimistic suggestion but if your engine wasn't hit then it may just be all the stuff right before it which is mainly hoses and your pass. intercooler.

I'm sorry to hear about your accident.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So passenger side intercooler...what else is in that area?
Old 08-05-2006, 10:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default That and the hoses going to and from it. Thats about it really. If you hit "really" hard and high

enough then you also may have jarred the bi pipe on that side. After that its the inlet pipe to the turbo but thats pretty deep and past the alternator and its more than likely the rubber hose went first and absorbed the impact. Honestly if you didn't slam extremely hard I wouldn't be too worried. If you weren't leaking any fluids then you obviously didn't even damage your radiator or the few coolant lines that are at the front towards the center. I'm thinking its probably just your Intercooler and hoses.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

probably hit at 30-40 mph....but yet no airbags/fluid leaking.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Keep your head up man. It may not be so bad.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Could have been worse. You could have been hurt. it is just a car.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:53 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default it's just an IC (or related hose)

If you harmed the timing belt, you would have taken out the radiator first (= leaking coolant). Since you don't see it bleeding fluids, you're probably okay.

But at that speed/angle, you're likely to find a good amount of body work needed under the skin.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have stock IC's and hoses I'll get rid of for cheap :-)
Old 08-06-2006, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default if you hit the guradrail go ing 30-40 mph.. sorry to tell you this..but

your gonna have more dmg than what you posted... other parts that might have been affected are.. rt apron, rad core support,upper rails and reinforcements, strut tower housing, ft bmp absorber,reinforcement bar..i hope your going through ins company for this one.. its gonna be more expensive than you think to repair this..post some pics and i can give you a rough est ... ive been in the ins business for over 10 yrs... glad you didnt get hurt..

Quick Reply: Question regarding front end collision implications/consequences in the S