S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Question for those with lots of Track Experience...

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for those with lots of Track Experience...

I'm getting ready to take my car out on the track and would like your opinons on these points: 1) Just how hard is the track on your car when driving "hard"? 2) Is it possible to go on the track and "take it easy," meaning can you have a fun track day without thrashing your car? 3) How much more likely are you to blow K03 turbos on the track when A) driving hard, and B) taking it easy? 4) Other than race pads, racing seatbelts and a good set of tires, is there anything else you need on track day? 5) What would you recommend always doing right after a track event?

Thanks guys!

Mike
Old 06-17-2004, 12:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Are you running 100% stock brakes?

I highly recommend doing pads, stainless steel lines, and good brake fluid (I use Motul600).

You don't have to push your car super hard at the track. Start out at a comfortable pace and bump it up a notch every few laps. You don't have to run it to redline through each gear.. focus on smooth lines and smooth inputs. Just keep your car in it's powerband, which is nice and fat for an S4.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:39 AM

Default Thank you, just to clarify, I am track ready...

I have the Stoptech 332 Kit in front, with stainless steel lines in the front and rear, Motul 600 brake fluid, Stasis Track Sport suspension, Kuhmo MX tires, etc.
Old 06-17-2004, 03:25 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Whether you like it or not, you'll be pushing the car.

Just make sure you cool the car down after each lapping session. You'll have 1 on track cool down lap, find someplace else to drive around to continue cooling the car down. When you're done driving around leave the engine running, and pop the hood to release the heat.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default You can be as hard or as easy on the car as you want. A few words of advice: run your stock chip.

It will be easier to modulate the throttle, easier on the turbos, and the chip doesn't really make it anymore fun. Whether you hit 125 or 130 on the straights doesn't matter. Also, the slower the car is, the better a driver you have to be. The chip makes it easier to cover up your mistakes.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I agree 100%, therefore I am looking for a stock A-box.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Taking it easy...

When you get more comfortable on the track you will begin pushing the car harder--that's natural. Just remember you have to drive home.

Depending on the track, you might beat-up the brakes pretty good. After 2 days at Mid-ohio last weekend, my front rotors are a bit warped. You might consider an upgrade of pads and rotors (ECS Tuning has a nice two-piece kit that is stock size).

Unless you are very tough on your car during normal driving, you won't thrash the car. Part of driving on the track is being smooth. I think my round-trip 35 mile commute is harder on the car than two days at the track.

Have fun.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:06 AM
Rest In Peace

Default Get some track pads if you don't have them already.

Otherwise, you're pretty much ready to go. Bleed the brakes before the event, just to be safe. Like mpwolf said, run your stock chip. Like RKA said, be sure to cool down thoroughly. You'll see plenty of cars driving around the paddock after their sessions and then parking with the hood open and car running. There's really no post-track things to do other than swap back to street pads. Street tires will be fine for your first several events. Just monitor the tire pressure and start out a few psi lower than on the street.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:07 AM
Elder Member

Default See ...

<A HREF="http://www.audipages.com/on_track/tracktips.html">Track Tips</a>, and I'll let others answer your K03 question.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I found it was pretty fun to do the cool down lap with no brakes, it's not a tough as I thought and

good practice. I also tried turning the heater on full for my cool down lap with surprising results. It dropped my oil temp 15 degrees in one lap and continued to drop temp much quicker than without it.

Quick Reply: Question for those with lots of Track Experience...