S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Question for those with lots of Track Experience...

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default And see...

<ul><li><a href="http://www.startupracing.com/Tech.htm">Linkie</a></li></ul>
Old 06-17-2004, 05:34 AM

I see what you're doing. Doing anything you can so you can get a pass-by from an S4, huh? :-P
Old 06-17-2004, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default it is all up to the individual...

if you're competitive and want to push things to the limit, then I would think the car will take a lot of abuse.
If you attend, driver's school like the Quattro Club, things are less competitive.
Time Trials and Road Racing individuals tend to push their cars harder than those learning to driver their car better.

Basically, if you want to play you have to pay.
Maybe not now, but down the road.

Just be sure you cool the car down after driving hard, don't use the e-brakes when you park, and check your oil levels.

You don't have to buy track pads, you your stock and then wear them out before buying more. 4 or 5 point seat belts are not really necessary, you can lock yourself in snug with your own seatbelt (there is a little secret). As for tires, you can use whatever, you'll learn the limits of your tires real quickly.

Basically, you're out there to learn to drive better and have fun.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Shhhh....oh, and everyone should run stock brakes and suspension too. :-P
Old 06-17-2004, 05:52 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Agreed...I do the same on my cooldown.

Just carry the speed through the turns, and work on the line. Track time is precious...must not waste it! :-P

Good idea on the heater...someone mentioned that to me last weekend. I'll try it next time around.
Old 06-17-2004, 06:58 AM
Elder Member

Default i'd run stock programming if i were you.

head is an issue with the S4. and heat can be an issue with thr tip tranny too... stock chip will have plenty of juice for you and lesss likely IMO to blow a turbo than chipped.
Old 06-17-2004, 07:23 AM
Craggy Old Man

Default Re: Question for those with lots of Track Experience...

You can also turn your seatbelts into a suedo harness.
buckle the seat beat, move the seat all the way back.
Tighten the lap belt by pulling on the shoulder belt, then with the left hand grab the shoulder belt where its at your left ear. tug hard to lock the belt. Keep tension.
with your right hand reach across grabbing the shoulder belt where the left hand is. always keep tension.
Then use your left hand and work the seat controls moving the seat forward.
As the seat goes forward the belt will get tighter and tighter. Stop where the belt holds you firmly in place.
YOu now have a so called harness.
Warning , please close your door before doing this, you will never reach the door to close after your cinched in!!! LOL You will end up calling someone over to close your door or you will have to take the belt off and start all over again : )
Maybe take some painters tape from a home depot to cover your headlights or some of the bumper. Alot of things get thrown back at you on the track when behind someone. Especially if someone has a off track adventure and spews pebbles onto the track. Tires will grab these and fling them back and hit your front end.
Sometimes I drive around the skid pad if possible after a session to continue the air flow over the brakes and too help cool the car.
Just be smooth driving, both gas and brakes and wheel input. Dont let an ego get in the way. Remember to flex your flingers and hands on the straights and breath!! : )) Its amazing the death grip you can have out there when you dont realize it.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Track tires!

You seem to have everything else. Tires can take a good lap to a great lap. Ride in a car with track tires and you will notice a HUGH difference. I'm on the lookout for some myself. Should be good for a few seconds.

My car was solid at Mid Ohio. I ran chipped, but can agree that it may have been easier for me to go stock as the burst of power that I got when just breathing the throttle and getting back on power was sometimes unsettling (in the rain, much more so).

Smooth over raw speed should be your goal. Steady braking, nice line to the apex and fast exit speed.

Good luck
Old 06-17-2004, 08:49 AM
Rest In Peace

It's not a racecar. I do a good warmup/sighting lap and then a nice slow cooldown lap.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I do... oh wait, my car doesn't NEED those things.

Quick Reply: Question for those with lots of Track Experience...