S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Question - why does Audi choose the Bridgestone tire as O.E.?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2000, 09:51 AM
John

Default Question - why does Audi choose the Bridgestone tire as O.E.?

Everyone complains about the O.E. Potenza RE040. Everybody says dry performance is lukewarm, and wet and snow performance sucks. If it does neither task well, why are they on the Audi S4? They aren't cheap either. Why doesn't Audi choose the Pilot Sport (or MXX3, either of which were O.E. on BMW M3, M roadster, MB CLK 430, C43, etc.)

And if the Bridgestone S-02PP are as great as they say (which I believe they are), why aren't they O.E. on ANY car? They seem great - max performance and good wet weather traction.

Audi is getting a bum rap on the choice of tires. They could have at least given us a 4 season tire. Sure the dry performance would be as bad as the stock Potenzas, but at least it would be better in wet weather.
Old 02-14-2000, 09:55 AM
TurboX2

Default The S-02s come on some very fast cars oem......the RE040s may not be cheap

aftermarket but I bet they are way cheaper for audi than the s-02 or the pilots. Different class of tire. Besides, the S4 is not marketed as a sports car, its a luxury sports sedan.....
Old 02-14-2000, 10:01 AM
John

Default True, but if BMW and MB can put good tires on their cars,

Audi can also. If BMW is outfitting the M cars (99 M3, 00 M roadster) with Pilot Sports, Audi should do the same with the S4.
Old 02-14-2000, 10:16 AM
leslie

Default Potenza's do not SUCK in wet weather!

Trust me, that is all I ever drive in. I wouldn't use them in snow, and I'm not debating that they are superior to the Pilots or those other tires are better. But I've done some high speed maneuvering in pouring rain, w/o any loss of traction, or confidence.

leslie
Old 02-14-2000, 10:22 AM
Silver S4

Default According to AoA, the B-Stone is the quietest riding tire in the size lineup(more)

with the best overall performance. Quiet is good when you are trying to sell a car of this nature. Regardless of performance.

They are using Pirellis and Michellins also. Depends on what is in stock at the time the car is built
Old 02-14-2000, 10:24 AM
Another Drew

Default Skylines come with RE040's

I don't they stink that bad. Wet weather is fine. Snow is another story.
Old 02-14-2000, 10:25 AM
Bartie

Default Re: Potenza's do not SUCK in wet weather!

They may not suck, but there are definitely better tires for wet weather out there. I upgraded from the stock Potenza's to S-02's, and the difference is significant. And, I can deal with icy/snowy surfaces a lot better as well.

The stock Potenza's seem to be a good option for dry weather only. There are better tires out there for life in a place like the North West. MHO
Old 02-14-2000, 10:32 AM
leslie

Default agreed.

I believe I conceded this point in my original message, and (if and) when I upgrade to 18's, I am planning on going w/ these or the Pilots.
Old 02-14-2000, 10:54 AM
Audihere

BP 040 are horrible.
Old 02-14-2000, 10:54 AM
donp

I was quoted $257 for a 225/45-17 RE040. 10 days to get it.

Quick Reply: Question - why does Audi choose the Bridgestone tire as O.E.?