S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Questions about S4 Fog Lights...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2000, 10:22 AM
Rick Snyder

Default Questions about S4 Fog Lights...

All,

After playing in my S4 over the long weekend, I've found one and only one thing that I don't like about this car.....The fog light switch. Why does the relay reset the fog lights to "off" every time you turn the lights off? Now, I come from on A4 that I had modified to allow the fogs to work with both the high and low beams, and I kept them on all the time. I can't do this in the S4.

Is there a way to rewire the fog lights to at least stay on with the high beams?
AND/OR
Is there a way to rewire them to not turn off when you turn the headlights/car off?

It's a pretty small thing, and I'll get used to turning them on all the time, I just keep forgetting now out of habit.

Thanks,
Rick
00' Cactus S4
Old 01-04-2000, 10:26 AM
Fogmeister

Why do you need to have them on all the time?
Old 01-04-2000, 10:27 AM
Silver S4

Default That's illegal here in VA, and no for a fact that the car will fail inspection for it.

All you need to do is find the relay that triggers the lights off when the High Beams come on. That should take care of it.

Question is, where's teh relay, my guess is down by the headlights.

Good Luck
Old 01-04-2000, 11:03 AM
CraigB

FYI - No safety inspection in CO.
Old 01-04-2000, 11:52 AM
AC

Default So he can annoy all on-coming drivers...

...or maybe he just thinks it looks cool.

I don't doubt that having fog lights on all the time lights up the road better for you, unfortuntely it makes things worse for on-coming traffic.

Not to mention those just waiting for an excuse to put the rear fog light on as well. Ever been on a two lane road in *light* fog stuck behind someone with their rear fog on?

Those lights are intended for a specific use, I wish people would use them only when necessary.
Old 01-04-2000, 11:58 AM
DMoore

Amen! (nt)
Old 01-04-2000, 11:59 AM
Silver S4

Man...If we didn't have safety inspection here, this place would be a disaster, what it already is!!
Old 01-04-2000, 12:08 PM
Ben Broder

Default Save your fog lights for the fog

Judging by the number of times I've been flashed, the S4 lighting can irritate other drivers even with the fog lights off. The Xenons do a tremendous job illuminating the near field -- don't see any reason to further annoy other drivers.
Old 01-04-2000, 12:10 PM
KJK

Default Xenons are way worse than white fog lights...

I guess the question is, are they driving lights or fog lights? I always understood fogs to be yellow (like the ES300 ones) and driving lights to be white. Either way, I don't think white ones add to the glare of oncoming cars which make sense given the beam they throw. Plus, and I have driven with mine on and off, people get out of the fast lane much faster with them on.

So, given two choices: 1) pissing you off or 2) getting home faster, I will take number 2.

KJK 91 M5
Old 01-04-2000, 12:13 PM
CraigB

Default I'd be replacing my windsheild every year because of cracks,...

...if we had an inspection in CO. The "sand" they use on the roads here in the winter is about 1/4" in diameter (it's hell on paint jobs too).

CraigB

Quick Reply: Questions about S4 Fog Lights...