S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Questions for upgrading stock brakes....

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2003, 03:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions for upgrading stock brakes....

Will DBA slotted rotors, SS lines, and Mintex pads be much of an improvement over stock? I'm not looking to spend the $$ for a Big brake kit, but want something that will do well for street, and a few track events.
Old 03-30-2003, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Depends on what you mean by "improvement" over stock. ...(more)

The stainless lines will help firm up the pedal under hard braking, which helps for heel/toe downshifting. A fresh bleed with Motul 600 brake fluid will make fluid fade much less likely. And a set of decent track pads will help save you from pad fade and the vibration problems which can result from exceeding some pads' MOT. (Max operating temperature)

The DBA rotors won't make much of a difference. You either need to reduce operating temperatures with bigger rotors (i.e., big brake kit) or you need to install pads and fluid that can handle the higher temperatures of your stock components. I'm not a big believer in one pad that works well on the track and on the street. Track pads are usually noisy and dusty when cold and they eat your rotors. Many street pads (even high performance ones) don't behave well when they exceed their MOT. For example, the Axxis Ultimate pads that come standard with StopTech brake kits are terrific pads with an MOT of 1022 degrees F. But when they exceed that, they are notorious for uneven deposits on your rotors and subsequent vibration problems. That's why StopTech has added the bright sticker to the box that says, "THESE ARE NOT TRACK PADS!"

I've had tremendous luck with the Axxis Deluxe Plus pads <a href="http://www.bmwm5.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28899">(See review)</a> with my BMW M5 customers on the street. Virtually no dust or noise and sufficient performance to work fade-free with a 4100 pound, 400hp car. For the track, they switch to Pagid Orange or Yellow.

Dave Z.