S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Ran a Syclone last nite

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seeing that the Sy/Ty's had AWD as well I don't see how they had traction issues...

Well, with quite a bit of power, traction can be an issue with AWD. But 2000 lbs?? More like about 3600 lbs in stock form (3860 for the Typhoon). I still have my 1992 Sport Machine brochure.

From what I recall, the Syclone had a slightly longer wheel base which, add that it weighed less, gave it even better launching ability than the Typhoon. But then again that was ten years ago when I was involved with them and time has taken it's toll on my memory. ;-)
Old 06-27-2006, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If I had to guess, it was due to the suspension setup. It's a truck, and therefore has (?)

leaf springs (If I start to sound wrong, this is all 2nd/3rd hand info), and they worked on it a lot, but like I said, it was a "worked" truck. It had a ton of hp, but it just spun the tires.
The one I'm thinking of is a Typhoon, and to help out, it even had a roll cage. They lowered the pressure in the tires to like 20 or so to help, but only when they decreased 1st gear boost did the ETs go down.
Old 06-27-2006, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default How much power was in that Typhoon?

Geez, for a nearly 2 ton SUV with AWD to have traction issues!!!!!
Old 06-27-2006, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default a lot. I'll try to remember to ask tomorrow. It made some magazine, and I know the guys who

did the roll cage.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:16 PM

Default They were both factory spec'd at...

286 crank horsepower, but typically dyno'd at 305ish wheel horsepower. The lower number was probably an artifact of Chevy's use of the TH700R4 gearbox, which was spec'd at under 300 horsepower. The Typhoon (SUV) was nicer, with leather and such, while the Syclone (Light Truck) was sportier, and about half a second quicker beacause of its lower weight. Mine has never had any traction issues to speak of... and at 64,000 original miles is still extraordinarly fast for a 15 year old, bone stock mini-truck. It's a hoot to drive with its AWD. Many will remember the famous C&D article that compared it to the Ferrari 348ts of the day. The Sy was the victor in all categories except top speed...

Oh... and though that article says 0-60 mph in 14.1, mine is 15 years old, and still every bit of 13.4 seconds quick, unmodified save the replacement of a rusty exhaust.<ul><li><a href="http://www.sportmachines.com/magrack/car_driver_9-91.html">http://www.sportmachines.com/magrack/car_driver_9-91.html</a</li></ul>
Old 06-28-2006, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I know the German Ty...

I bought mine new and was one of the original people on syty.org-- the guy in Germany was going through transmissions at the time because he was heavily modded, and driving it way faster (on the a-bahn) than GM probably expected anyone to drive the thing. Personally, I never liked mine over about 100 or so as it got real loose in the front. Of course, it never had much of a top speed anyway as it had the aerodynamics of a small house.

But as scalbert says, real strong from a light, and very repeatable. Mine had the "red" trans mods done by Guy Reffet including a 2800 stall, the upgraded mitsu turbo, 3" exhaust, upgraded intercooler, etc etc and was loads of fun on the street.

On the other hand, it was a GM product, with all that implied.

-Will
Old 06-28-2006, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default It is interesting as time passes to see these vehicles...

I recall being on the sy-ty Listserv back in the mid-90's. Yea, the German one was owned by Jochen Kraus.

There was also the Saudi Syclone owned by Richard Tomlinson in England. Talk about being unique...

And hearing Guy's name does bring back memories of that period.

And according to Sport Machines, I still own it (I wish):
<a href="http://www.sportmachines.com/members/truckind.php?truckid=141" target="_blank">Old Profile</a>

Heck, even old postings are available: <a href="http://www.sportmachines.com/maintenance/aux_ic.php" target="_blank">My Low Budget Aux IC</a> at the bottom of the page.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I had 93 Ty#0003

Got tired of working on it more then driving it. I had the whole body on it redone, and you cannot find the cladding (ground effects) very easily. Took me a long time to get 2 pieces I wanted to replace.
So because of that, I ended up storing it all winter- was afraid someone was slide into me. In the end driving something 5 months out of the year seemed to be a big waste. The S4 is quicker, more reliable, easier to transport people, and a fantasic winter vehicle.

Any of you guys ever attend the syty nationals? I went to KC2000, and Great Bend 2001. Fun times.<ul><li><a href="http://www.sportmachines.com/members/truckind.php?truckid=789">my old Typhoon registry and pics</a></li></ul>
Old 06-30-2006, 01:27 AM

Default I have Sy number 973 of 2998...

There's a fellow in Illinois that has ALL the old stock cladding for both Sy and Ty. Fortunately he's an enthusiast, and not a monger. I've purchased a set of wheel cap bolts, a key, and one wheel cap from him. He could have raped me, but he didn't...

-Michael.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default speaking of wheel caps...

I noticed I still have a set of 4 when I was moving a few weeks ago. Need some spares? I'll have to look at them again to see exact condition of them. All I remember is each one is in its own ziplock bag.

Nice to see someone still has a stock syclone. Too many get the mod bug and start hacking them up.

Quick Reply: Ran a Syclone last nite