S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Rear Deck Speaker Install Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 08:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Deck Speaker Install Help

I saw the writeup on installing the rear speakers for an audi. I'm having difficulty. I have installed speakers in cars before, but never an Audi, but I didn't think it would be that difficult since i'm not installing any new amps or subs just yet, not even a new head unit. Just replacing the crappy bose speakers.

I have installed new Infinity 6022i speakers in the rear since
the Bose one's were blown. Once I disconnected the first speaker, I could no longer even use the other. (once i had the new speaker connected, i tried to test it to see if it worked...nada) I installed the speaker, plugged everything
back in and i'm getting no sound at all coming from the new speakers. I never saw an amplified hanging off the driver side either. It was only connected by a plug.

Is there something i'm missing? I even re-read the article and searched over the old speaker and can't find it. Is it attached
to the deck? There wasn't anything attached to the old Bose speaker other than the connector and the pos and neg wires.

Before I replaced the old speakers, the back ones worked, but they were so distorted at high bass levels so i wanted to replace. I don't understand why the new ones don't work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The front speakers went in fine with no problems. I just have issues with the back passenger door because even the stock speaker doesn't even work. I think its a grounding issue. So i haven't installed that one yet. All around the car is new Infinity speakers.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RubinAudi0106
Is there something i'm missing? I even re-read the article and searched over the old speaker and can't find it. Is it attached...
Hey Rubin

I've been meaning to do mine also, so this would be interesting to see what you find. Do you have a multi-meter? Try to measure the impedence of the old and the new. Typically car speakers are 4 Ohm. Or try to hook them up to another device like an old radio or something.

Cheers
Massboykie
Old 08-04-2010, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Rubin,

Are you replacing all the Bose speakers in the car and running an entirely new setup? If i remember correctly, the stock Bose subs that came stock in your rear deck are the only ones that are compatible with the stock Bose amplifier.

I know you said you haven't installed new amps or subs or anything yet, but i believe you need a new amplifier to make any of the speakers work in the car. I'm currently running the factory Bose speakers in my car now with my recently installed single 12" Alpine R series sub in my trunk. However, I also needed to purchase a new amp to run this setup.

Originally, i wanted to replace the rear deck subs with different ones that would fit in the factory space, but one of my techs said that i would need to do a complete overhaul of the audio system in the car if i wanted to do that. Maybe this could be the reason why you're not having any success on getting your Infinty Speakers to work?

Hope this helps,
Garrett
Old 08-05-2010, 07:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've done alot of research and supposedly the Infinity 6022i speakers are supposed to be direct replacements for the Bose speakers without needing to get a new amp. This is also according to Crutchfield who gave me the specs on the speakers. The speakers are actually 2ohms, anything more would be blown by the stock bose amps on the speakers.

According the writeup I found https://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec58.shtml
There is an amp that is hanging off the stock speaker...I didn't see anything, or is it located elsewhere.

I haven't had time yet to go and try and take the rear deck apart again. The rest of the speakers in the car work great so far, just absolutely no bass....sucks
Old 08-06-2010, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

yeah I know how you feel man, I got my s4 with the driver side sub in the rear deck already blown, so I disconnected it and only used the other one. That didn't last for very long at all, so I just invested in an actual sub to get all the bass instead of trying to fit everything back into the factory space.. I needed a new amp for that, but if that writeup and crutchfield say you can use the Infinitys with the bose amp then I'm beat too.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Most of the time it is just the dust cover for the voice coil that has come apart from the cone. If you glue it back, it is as good as new.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The rear deck speakers sound like crap. i've already bought the infinity speakers...i just can't find the amplifier for the driver side. i've checked the old speaker, and even took off the rear deck again, nothing that would even resemble a amp.

Help?? Still nothing coming from the new speakers. All the other speakers work except the passenger rear door.

I even installed the bose ones back and they don't work anymore.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well, figured out the issue. The connections were touching the metal plate for the rear deck. Now the speakers work.

So, you CAN install new speakers around the S4 without rewiring or any mumbo jumbo. Just you have to use speakers less than 4ohms, which infinity makes.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by RubinAudi0106
Well, figured out the issue. The connections were touching the metal plate for the rear deck. Now the speakers work.

So, you CAN install new speakers around the S4 without rewiring or any mumbo jumbo. Just you have to use speakers less than 4ohms, which infinity makes.
I was gonna tell you the metal touch that, but did you replace rear desk with infinity ? you should of put kicker sub in there http://media5.dashwire.com/media/c8X...j2QGawZlHa.jpg

if you change all your speaker, you should upgrade the amp and you can thank me later... even with new speaker your car won't sound better until you get the amp upgrade
Old 08-16-2010, 04:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by XCCESS
I was gonna tell you the metal touch that, but did you replace rear desk with infinity ? you should of put kicker sub in there http://media5.dashwire.com/media/c8X...j2QGawZlHa.jpg

if you change all your speaker, you should upgrade the amp and you can thank me later... even with new speaker your car won't sound better until you get the amp upgrade

I actually never even found the amp that was attached to the rear deck speakers. And the infinities sound GREAT! 1000% better than in any other car i've had.

I actually have the Infinity Basslink sub that i'm going to install in the trunk. It's been the best sub i've ever purchased and beats having to pay for two components and a box.

Quick Reply: Rear Deck Speaker Install Help