S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Is rear deck speaker rattle fixable?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2002, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is rear deck speaker rattle fixable?

I remember a while ago some folks mentioning that they had their rear deck speakers rattle (under certain types of bass). Was this fixable by the dealer? I've noticed it a bit lately, and I'm just putting together a list of things to mention when I take it in for regular 20k service soon. Wasn't sure if it's just one of those "that's the way it is" deals or not.
Old 01-23-2002, 07:10 AM

Default shouldn't it be coverd by warranty?

same things happening to me....gonna call and ax my dealer.
Old 01-23-2002, 07:17 AM

Default We blew through three of the Bose rear deck speakers (more)

under warranty on the A4...the rattle became permanent and I took it in for service. On the way home, we noticed a big bulge/bubble under the rear deck and pulled over. AoA "certified" mechanics, lacking a real fix for the rattle, had stuffed paper towels between the rear deck and the metal supports underneath the deck.

I don't think you want a fix like that...you may be better off installing some foam yourself..
Old 01-23-2002, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Replace the rear deck speakers.

Honestly, a lot of people have had this problem. I'm still waiting for my rear speakers, and I reported my problem in September-October.

... and when you go in, make sure they replace them, and not the "wiring".

Good Luck.
Old 01-23-2002, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yeah I put in a pair of Audiobohn 6" midbass and it sounds awesome I payed $100 for the pair.
Old 01-23-2002, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default What are the actual dimensions of the speaker?

6 1/2"
6 3/4"

That's sounding like such a better solution to my problem then waiting for the dealer to fix my problem... =)
Old 01-23-2002, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default They fit in the original speaker's cradle but you have to trim a little sheet metal off the back

deck. Also they are reverse polarity so +=- and
-=+
Old 01-23-2002, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Yes...

I had a rear deck speaker rattle under some bass frequencies, only for some reason, at mid volumes. Try to figure out if it's a speaker rattle or if the speaker rattles against something. In my case it was the speaker...and the dealer replaced both of them. Unfortunatley the tech doing it, couldn't figure out how to put the deck back on...and ended up braking the tree white clips holding it in from the passinger seat side. If it was up to me, i'd just have them get you the speakers under warranty and then swap them out yourself.
Old 01-23-2002, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default doubt they'd let me do that

I tried to just get wiper blades so I could put them on myself previously, but they said they had to do the install themselves along with a writeup/case/ticket/whatever it's called.

I'll play around with it when I get home to see if it's the speakers themselves rattling, or something else (speaker-deck junction?). Sounds similar to your case though - just some bass freq's, mid volume (maybe high too, don't usually blast it)
Old 01-23-2002, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I have had the rear deck speaker rattle.

I took it in 2 different times. Once to replace the left, and the second time to replace the right. So far the issue has not come back.

I suggest taking it in and having them replace the speakers.

Quick Reply: Is rear deck speaker rattle fixable?