S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Rear whine under acceleration and over 60mph only???

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear whine under acceleration and over 60mph only???

Hi guys,

I'm getting a soft whine in the rear right wheel arch area which only comes on under acceleration above 60mph (100kmph) i.e. it is not engine rev related.

Its tempting to think that it is a wheel bearing or diff bearing but in a straight line those suckers should be sounding off under acceleration AND deceleration shouldn't they?

Any ideas what it could be without dismantling the whole rear end first? I'm guessing it may be CV or diff related but would be very happy to hear otherwise

Thanks

Rod

2000 S4 B5
Old 05-02-2011, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Yup same thing...

Originally Posted by s4cp
Hi guys,

I'm getting a soft whine in the rear right wheel arch area which only comes on under acceleration above 60mph (100kmph) i.e. it is not engine rev related.

Its tempting to think that it is a wheel bearing or diff bearing but in a straight line those suckers should be sounding off under acceleration AND deceleration shouldn't they?

Any ideas what it could be without dismantling the whole rear end first? I'm guessing it may be CV or diff related but would be very happy to hear otherwise

Thanks

Rod

2000 S4 B5
Have you done any serious hard turns or donuts recently? About a month ago, it was raining here for awhile and I found a parking lot that was turned into a pool. Fairly deep water, easily 6 to 7 inches deep. It was all good fun and all. Did some high speed runs through it, hard turns into it, and donuts as well. I later, few weeks that is, picked up a noise in the rear also. Mine is a grown while driving period. Doesn't get louder as I go faster, nor when I turn. So that would tell me it's not the diff area. I'm guessing the wheel bearing took a beating, and since it was already on it's way out (I'm guessing), this night in the puddle of fun... finally did it. I could be wrong, but who knows.. hopefully someone here knows better.

As for yours, under acceleration would say that it may be one of the cv joints. Kinda like when you make a turn with a front wheel drive car and all that load is there on that outside tire with a bad u-joint... it clicks like crazy. Well kinda the same thing here, but under acceleration load is when it does it for you. I haven't noticed mine doing that, but I'm on my way to my po box. So I'll report back in a little while.

Chris
Old 05-02-2011, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if at highway speed, you turn to the left, this will put stress on the right bearings... if the sound is louder, that is an indicator, then if you turn right, it takes stress off the right side... if the sound disappears, the bearing is the culprit.
i would also be wary of the fuel pump and fuel filter, as they are in that neighorhood as well.
when is the last time you changed the fluid in your rear diff?
Old 05-02-2011, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default good idea..

Originally Posted by jordonb
if at highway speed, you turn to the left, this will put stress on the right bearings... if the sound is louder, that is an indicator, then if you turn right, it takes stress off the right side... if the sound disappears, the bearing is the culprit.
i would also be wary of the fuel pump and fuel filter, as they are in that neighorhood as well.
when is the last time you changed the fluid in your rear diff?
just went out the S4, to listen to the fuel pump. It's got a different higher pitch whine to it, than the one I'm hearing. Plus you definitely can't hear it up at the drivers seat. Unless the pump changes speed as your drive, which I doubt. It sounds like to that of a trucks big tire. But no oscillation, just smooth quick grown. It could be the bearing, or just the tire. I've have a noisy tire on another car before. Pops would always point it out.... I'll try the left turn again when I drive it some time. I'm riding the bike this whole week.

Gas is gouging me.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:11 PM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm going to have to say its a wheel bearing.

You can also tell its a bearing if you jack that wheel up and the wheel has any sort of side to side play the bearing is shot.

Jason
Old 05-02-2011, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default just fantastic...

Originally Posted by Jason@ECSTuning
I'm going to have to say its a wheel bearing.

You can also tell its a bearing if you jack that wheel up and the wheel has any sort of side to side play the bearing is shot.

Jason
well I guess that means I gotta change out thefront too. Side to side steering has a clunk under heavy oad. Nomal doesn't do it.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Im my personal experience I've done both rear wheel bearings and replaced the rear diff.I had a issue where the pinion bearing was no good under light load from about 60mph to 80mph it whined anything below or above it was dead quiet.I ended up swapping another diff in because it was cheaper for me to replaced the diff rather than to tear the whole diff apart to replace the bearing and then have to set up backlash on the bearing and yada yada yada.

Try putting the seats down see if its louder.As far as wheel bearings go I would think that It would be a constant noise you would hear it all the time say highway speed 60mph till you stopped and the faster you went the pitch would change.Thats just my experience.

I know that s4 rear diffs do get the the rear humm from that pinion bearing especially if they have been driven hard for some time and have a significant amount of miles.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default good to know

Originally Posted by EuroXS4
Im my personal experience I've done both rear wheel bearings and replaced the rear diff.I had a issue where the pinion bearing was no good under light load from about 60mph to 80mph it whined anything below or above it was dead quiet.I ended up swapping another diff in because it was cheaper for me to replaced the diff rather than to tear the whole diff apart to replace the bearing and then have to set up backlash on the bearing and yada yada yada.

Try putting the seats down see if its louder.As far as wheel bearings go I would think that It would be a constant noise you would hear it all the time say highway speed 60mph till you stopped and the faster you went the pitch would change.Thats just my experience.

I know that s4 rear diffs do get the the rear humm from that pinion bearing especially if they have been driven hard for some time and have a significant amount of miles.
Thanks EuroXS4, sounds plausible, and true on the repair. Definitely cheaper for another diff than rebuilding... but then again, how long would another hold up. mmm... maybe a diff swap, then rebuild original to put back in as new, that way less problems later down the road (again).

Thanks for the idea, with mine, it's just a constant grown. Doesn't get louder on the frwy, just stays the same. funny how that is. Could be just me and my hearing too... who know's, I blow **** up every year for the 4th. (I do professional pyrotechnics firework shows) hahahah
Old 05-05-2011, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris's S4
well I guess that means I gotta change out thefront too. Side to side steering has a clunk under heavy oad. Nomal doesn't do it.
that clunk is probably your sway bar bushings or sway bar linkages.
maybe time to get a complete control arm kit
Old 05-05-2011, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default yup..

Originally Posted by jordonb
that clunk is probably your sway bar bushings or sway bar linkages.
maybe time to get a complete control arm kit
it's what I've been planning for awhile. Start fresh with all new rubbers down there. As for the sway bars or links... well I suppose I could jack it up and give them a wiggle. Thought about going with much larger sway bars before suspension. But read somewhere maybe here, about the rear actually breaking the rear subframe. makes me think twice now... sigh. Fronts were going to be 32mm and the rear something like 22m... it's a kit that ecs tuning has I believe. Hotchkis sway bar kit... Is that too thick?

Quick Reply: Rear whine under acceleration and over 60mph only???