S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Received a California CVC27151 modified exhaust tax today, and have an idea to check compliance of

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Received a California CVC27151 modified exhaust tax today, and have an idea to check compliance of

assorted setups, so we can be assured our combinations are indeed legal.

Long story short, my turbos are dead, and my car isn't making any boost because I disconnected the N75's. I'm running the stock tune as well. I pulled out of my drive-through coffee place, made a left hand turn onto the street, accelerated up to the speed limit (if you want to call no-boost "accelerating", and spotted a bike cop about 150-200 feet behind me. I checked my speed at 35. He ramped up his speed and then pulled me over.

I turned onto a side street since there was no shoulder, and he immediately started shouting "STOP THE CAR NOW, PULL OVER". I could already sense I was about to be screwed, although confident I had done nothing wrong.

He approaches and says when he says "to pull over he MEANS IT!" I explained I was pulling out of traffic for our safety. He didn't seem too receptive to that. Despite knowing I was going to get the shaft, I maintained a professional attitude. He ran my plates and walked away.

A lady in her 50's pulls up in her convertible mustang, playing some jazz at the stoplight. The cop immediately starts shouting at her to turn the "illegally loud music down". Nice.

He came back and said he paced me doing 45 in a 35, and that he's citing me for speed and for a "correctable offense" of CVC 27151, "exhaust modified for amplification of noise". After I signed the ticket he noticed my window tint, and asked me to roll up my front windows. I stated "Officer, this is a case of plain view, and my windows are not in plain view". He said "well you rolled them down when you saw me", which is a total, and blatant fabrication on his part - I just left the drive-through and it's 85 degrees out. He proceeds to tell me if I show him the windows he won't write me a ticket. He then asks me to correct them as a "personal favor" and walks away. I then proceed to see him blow a red light making a U-turn.

Now, in regards to the speeding, there's no way he paced me, as the entire point of exit, to where he fired up his lights, is 775 feet in distance, downhill, and around a sweeping lefthand curve with large trees blocking the median view. The notion that he could accelerate to my alleged speed, maintain the proper distance for the correct length of time to determine my speed around a sweeping bend, make the decision to pull me over, and pull me over, is ridiculous at best.

But that's not the issue. Nor is the window tint, or the Miles Davis, or whatever the lady was playing. I will say this guy made me respect every cop I've dealt with in the past a little more.

I am running stock downpipes with cats, and an Autospeed True Dual catback. The car isn't loud. I've driven some really loud vehicles in my day, and this car is quiet and docile to say the least, except under boost. (which was impossible today, since there is no boost!)

I researched the CVC 27151 which states:

27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor
vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted
by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance
with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits
established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with
Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an
exhaust system so modified.
(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor
vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less
than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or
less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers
Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle
exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to,
nonoriginal exhaust equipment.

So in essence, the cop is misinformed, or intentionally misquoting this law in order to support his agenda. It is not illegal, by default, to modify your exhaust for sound amplification. It is illegal to modify your exhaust for sound amplification if it exceeds the standards set forth in 27151(B).

I am waiting to get my hands on a copy of the SAE J1169 to find out how I can independently test my vehicle. If the meter is not overly expensive, and the test procedure is easy to replicate, I hereby suggest that we perform tests on cars in So Cal and their various combinations, so we all know as a community, which systems fit within the laws and where our rights stand.

I ask this doesn't turn into a cop-bashing party as I'm looking to establish legitimate information to protect our rights.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ya know... I've gotten a number of exhaust tickets... and in the end, saddly...

they just don't seem worth fighting.

Every pickup truck around here has modified exhaust. Every harley has pipes so loud it's deafening. Old school muscle cars have thumping flows that compact your chest.

Yet cops will pick on 'imports' that have an aftermarket exhaust.

There's no rhyme nor reason for singling out a small segment of the automotive population for these exhaust tickets.

Arguements and reason always seem to fall on deaf ears.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I feel for you dude. You might try a stereo shop to test your db...

They should have the equipment, and it would be easy to test your exhaust levels. If you find out how "loud" you can be by law and kept a printout or something in your car stating your db level, you could use that to your advantage next time...or this time in court.

Good luck.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have a sound level meter I use to calibrate my HT system. ~$45 from Radio Shack online.

126db max, tripod mount, mono-out. Get the analog one<ul><li><a href="http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103668&amp;cp=&amp;origkw=sou nd+level+meter&amp;kw=sound+level+meter&amp;parent Page=search">Sound Level Meter</a></li></ul>
Old 07-22-2006, 02:35 PM

Default That's what irritates me, if I was 17 in a lowered integra with a melon shooter exhaust

I could understand the ticket. Common sense interpretation of the laws would dictate enforcement personnel must make an informed professional evaluation to determine if excessive noise laws are being violated.

Was I revving my engine at the stoplight? No.
Was I winding out each gear beyond reason? No.
Was I wearing a backwards hat? No.
Did I launch like Colin McCrae? No.

My head is shaved though, but only because I hate helmet hair after my go kart races. I must fit the profile of a terrrrrist.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:35 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just to give you an idea.....I think you stand a pretty good chance of proving.....

the ASP true dual is within 95 dba's. I'd get yours tested at a reputable location, and show up in court. Defend yourself first before you start low balling the officer, but I'd definitely say something!

Does CA have such a serious problem with loud car stereos, exhaust, etc?<ul><li><a href="http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/gallery/awe_twin2/index.cfm">AWE-Tuning exhaust dba</a></li></ul>
Old 07-22-2006, 02:55 PM

Default Man that sux. I got harrassed recently too. Trial by written declaration, get it down on paper

when you're cool and objective.

Fortunately I didn't get a ticket as I was already on private property by the time he pulled me over, but I didn't appreciate the the fake excuse he gave for not writing a "wreckless driving" ticket or bullsh!t exaggerated version of what was basically accelerating quickly to the speed limit while doing a legal left turn.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Get the exhaust sound level tested, and bring that to court. I'm sure the ticket will be dropped

Also explain the speeding part, that should be dropped as well. It would be a waste of the courts time to try and fight such low level tickets that have such little evidence. Once that happens file a complaint against the officer, stating what happened (including the pulling over on the side street for your own safety) and also that all the tickets were thrown out in court. That is probably the most that you can do, but hopefully the officer will be reprimanded for going on his little power trip. I respect law enforcment but sometimes they need to be knocked off their high horse and realize they are not above the law.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Repost! :-p
Old 07-22-2006, 03:09 PM

Default Lol - I gotta stop clicking the back button

AW caches it sometimes, and treats it like a duplicate. Other times it treats it like a new post.

Quick Reply: Received a California CVC27151 modified exhaust tax today, and have an idea to check compliance of