S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Recommend a new clutch for me please. (Stage 3-)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommend a new clutch for me please. (Stage 3-)

As some of you may remember, my RS4 clutch installed w/ stage 3- recently is one of the batch of bad pressure plates. I'm going to be replacing it next week. Car is no longer a daily driver per-se, but I do still drive it on trips. Also sees a lot of track time (road courses). I'm not known for being abusive to clutches, but I want it to hold when I go full stage 3, and would like it to hold if I want to launch it. Options I'm considering:

-new pressure plate only. Continue to use relatively new friction disk. (assuming it is ok after slipping)

-new RS4 pressure plate, new Spec 6-puck disc from Autospeed.

-clutchmasters. Might be overkill for me though. Cost?

-Sachs? Don't know much about them, think I remember hearing they are making a clutch for us now though?

Anything else?
Old 08-24-2005, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Custom RS4 setup from VAST performance. Ask him about what Doc and I are running...

Stock like driveability with excellent clamping.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Arrgh! I don't know why Mike didn't recommend this when he did the install!
Old 08-24-2005, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default New Pressure Plate only - or adjust the current (more inside)

Sorry I didn't email you with an update on this - been on vacation.

I installed the new pressure plate (correctly adjusted) with the existing clucth and flywheel (1,000 miles on them) and it is hooking up great. It was grabbing well with only 10 miles or so of break-in, but being paranoid I babied it for another 300 miles.

I just started to get into some harder shifts and it is grabbing like a ****. It is actually taking a llittle getting used to with the new engagement point. The pedal feel has firmed up to a point I would describe as perfect - slightly firmer then stock.

I would say the clucth feels ~25% grabier then stock (this is a VERY non-scientific analysis). My chipped ECU died so i have not been able to see how it holds at higher psi under heavy load - but I am 99% confident that it is going to be fine.

Inspecting my PP upon removing there was minimal wear. Piggie has it. The new PP that wnet in was originally misadjusted as well, which Mike corrected before shipping.

If i were you i would just take yours out, adjust it and put it back in. It is definitely a mis-adjustment issue, not a defective PP.

Best of luck - hope this helps.

Tim
Old 08-24-2005, 06:35 AM

Default Well, a "working" rs4 clutch is a good long term unit, I can still break loose 245s with a 81k mile

old RS4 clutch+pp on a non resurfaced 135k mile old original flywheel.

Shame you were unlucky.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thanks. Glad it's working out for you. Keep in mind mine held all the way to 15psi until recently.

I'll talk to the shop I'm having do the work. I have another car to drive, so if they won't mind having the car a couple of extra days if it turns out I need new parts, I may have them do just that. I'm just expecting that the pressure plate, FW, and possibly disc are all toast from a few bad slips.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Dude, this is night and day different. It was so f-upped you will laugh>

when you get it fixed.

I had several bad slips on mine and they looked pretty brand new.

I really hope this all works out for you.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:07 AM

Default very pleased with my clutchmaster's stage3 & stock f/w. they advertise $899 on their webpage

but i picked it up for less from simmply/wms.

just hit about 3000 miles on it. very smooth engagement, softer pedal than my stock clutch was (even gets the girlfriend approval), and chirps the tires when i want it to
Old 08-24-2005, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

very happy with my AWE stg 2
Old 08-24-2005, 07:45 AM
Elder Member

Default Are you sure we have the same setup?

I thought you had the same setup as Mike Moore. I just have RS4 PP + Southbend disc, which is also what Pat (S4Patrick) is running. Either way, I'm really liking my setup.

Quick Reply: Recommend a new clutch for me please. (Stage 3-)