S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Reinstalling Front Bumper Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 03:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reinstalling Front Bumper Help

I just installed ER SMICs, some difficulties, but they're in, with shrouds. I've been trying to get the bumper back on for the last 2 hours. Are there any tricks to getting the side clips back in? Do you really have to force them like with the removal? One of the Bumper Reinforcement bracket bolts is in.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Old 04-23-2009, 10:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

per bentley, you're supposed to pull toward the back of the car and either up or down to get it OFF.

with installing it again, what i usually do is manhandle it pretty rough-like to get the bumper support lined up and close to the holes for the 6mm bolts..

then you want to get the lower clips fastened first on each side. don't be afraid to smack the bumper with a padded fist, the clips are pretty stiff plastic so they'll take some force to get on there.

when the lower clips are fastened, it's another session of "hammering" with your palm until it kind of finds its own way. it's not hard to keep it aligned, just make sure you've got about a quarter inch or less of space between the bumper and the bottom of the headlight.

bottom line, don't be afraid to be physical with it BUT, don't start out with gorilla fists. start with spirited nudges and add a little oomph if things don't snap in.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by rakta *chchchanges
per bentley, you're supposed to pull toward the back of the car and either up or down to get it OFF.

with installing it again, what i usually do is manhandle it pretty rough-like to get the bumper support lined up and close to the holes for the 6mm bolts..

then you want to get the lower clips fastened first on each side. don't be afraid to smack the bumper with a padded fist, the clips are pretty stiff plastic so they'll take some force to get on there.

when the lower clips are fastened, it's another session of "hammering" with your palm until it kind of finds its own way. it's not hard to keep it aligned, just make sure you've got about a quarter inch or less of space between the bumper and the bottom of the headlight.

bottom line, don't be afraid to be physical with it BUT, don't start out with gorilla fists. start with spirited nudges and add a little oomph if things don't snap in.
+1

There is no "secret" but it takes some patience and a bit of violence.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rakta *chchchanges

Thanks very much, this helps. I haven't been putting enough force inward on the clips, it sounds like. Also, I think the repositioned driver's-side horn (repositioned with supplied ER bracket) is also getting in the way of the bumper. I'm going to yank the horn and see if it goes on any easier. I never use my horn anyway and I've still got the passenger side horn. Thanks again.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by donromani
+1

There is no "secret" but it takes some patience and a lot of violence.
Fixed
Old 04-24-2009, 11:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Now I've got the bumper on, thanks for the tips, but it's no longer aligned. There is a bigger gap between the quarter panel and the bumper, and the bumper is sticking out about 1cm farther on the sides than the quarter panel. The wheel well line no longer meets. Anyone know how to fix this? Thanks.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

To get the ER ICs in you had to loosen those bumper stops and move the front frame assembly into maintenance position, right?

First thing to do is take the bumper off again, loosen that front frame stuff again and then lift or jack up the front frame so that it gets back to the original level - misalignment of this after maintenance is the most likely cause of your problem.

Second thing - the drivers side and passenger side horn assembly - make sure you have adequate clearance or they will push out and down on the bumper causing it to be misshaped/misaligned.