S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Results from last nights race with the GT mustang, I think my S4 *MIGHT* be broken :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2001, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Results from last nights race with the GT mustang, I think my S4 *MIGHT* be broken :(

The night started out awesome, everyone who was suppost to show up did, and we all enjoyed the race. Pat showed up with Scott S4, and skydiveA4. Some of my other friends who I have invited showed up as well.

I raced the mustang 3 times. The first time, I missed the signal and blew the launch and skipped a few gears

2nd race was dead on. I was in the lead by about 1 car and held him off til I hit 3rd gear! Problem was, 3rd gear never found its way in and instead I MISSHIFTED TO 1ST GEAR!! I watched in horror as my tach hit 8000 RPM!! I car totally chirped the tires and locked up the gears. I watch it drop down to about 6500 before I shifted it into neutral. I quickly slowed down and listenend to any abnormal sounds that the car might be making. The only thing abnormal is squeeking coming from the bottom of the car. Everyone thought the tranny mount might be stretched or something, and it shouldnt be anything serious. What do you guys think could go wrong with the motor if such a miss shift did occur? It all happend so fast I was in shocked that it EVEN went into first gear doing 60+mph.

3rd race *Official*

This time, I took my times with the shifting. I launched at 5500-6000 rpm and got about 1 car jump on the mustang. He finally caught up and slowly pulled on me when I hit 3rd gear. He beat me by about 1 car at the end of the race.

Afterwards, I parked my car and continued to listen to some abnormal noise. After the race with the mustang the squeeking got louder and more evident. I parked my car and watch the others race for a while. Then I got inside and decided to drive up and down the block to see how the car feels. The only real complaint I have is that the shifting is a little stiffer than before, especially going into reverse. Anyways, after driving up and down the block, the squeeking went away and everything seem normal again.

Final Race of the night *for me*

I lined up with a 2001 Lightning. At the launch I took him about 1 car, and continued to pull about 4 cars on him before he and I both let off. Needless to say, my car still runs strong and shows no signs of damage due to the misshift. Pat and my other friends believes the only damage that probably would have occured is the tranny mount got a little shocken up. Anyways, I will cut down on the amount of racing I do until the 5k service rolls around and continue to monitor for any signs of damage.

As of now, the car runs strong and has no further noise, the squeeking has dissapeared as well.

All and all, the night was a HUGE success. I think everyone was shocked and suprised to see how well a stock S4 held up to a modified 01 GT mustang
Old 10-15-2001, 11:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default OUCH! 2nd -> 1st?? You must have rammed that REALLY HARD into 1st

the synchros should have been exploding...

60mph in 1st gear is technically 11,900 RPM!!!

(5.04 MPH per 1000 RPM)

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-T
Old 10-15-2001, 11:36 PM

I've seen valve rods bends with less abuse on an e36 m3 it was a 4th to 3rd instead of 5th, ouch
Old 10-15-2001, 11:41 PM

Yea, but thats a BMW
Old 10-15-2001, 11:47 PM

Default Not to be a dick or anything but...

I don't think you should be racing if you are skipping gears and accidentally putting it into 3rd gear while going 60. I can't see how that can happen.....you must have had alot of adrenaline (?)
Old 10-15-2001, 11:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Oh please lets not start the mechanical overrev discussion again..

last time it got ugly.

I'll say my piece though: mechanical overrev is not all that bad on the motor since there is no internal stress/pressure/boost acting on the internals of the motor.
Old 10-16-2001, 12:01 AM

Default Seeing how flymsy our tranny is, its kind of hard finding gear when your raceing someone at...

high speeds.

Even now, I still dont know how I even got it in first gear! I have raced a lot of times, and did some track racing as well, and never had a problem with 3rd gear until tonight.
Old 10-16-2001, 12:01 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Race situation isn't like day to day driving... lots of stuff can happen when that adrenaline starts
Old 10-16-2001, 12:03 AM
AudiWorld Expert

I tried to find you guys.. i hung out till about 11pm maybe then went home.
Old 10-16-2001, 12:03 AM

Bwahahahahaha! You're a TOOL.

Quick Reply: Results from last nights race with the GT mustang, I think my S4 *MIGHT* be broken :(