S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Reverse lock out 6-speed manual, help please.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse lock out 6-speed manual, help please.

I blew it and should have snapped some pics, but since I didn't I'll try to explain what's going on with this car.

116k 2001.5 avant, just purchased. Seller "claimed" short shift kit installed.

Shifting into reverse was nearly impossible, so I pulled the shifter and found what looked to be the stock shifter.

The shaft the holds the shift **** has, at the bottom, where it connects to the linkage 3 holes, for the connection to the "elbow" which then connects to the actual shift linkage to the tranny.

Are the 3 holes normal? The elbow has one hole for the bolt to connect to the actual shift rod. PO had drilled a lower hole in the elbow to attach the elbow to the shift rod. It was badly worn, ugly stuff.

I reassembled the shifter using the correct hole in the elbow (centered) and now car shifts perfectly, but there is no reverse "lock out". In other words, you don't have to push down on the shifter to get into reverse.

As my significant other will be driving this car, I'd like to remedy that before she thinks she's in "first" at a stoplight and then smashes into the car behind her.

I've done a search for the parts diagram for the shifter and shift linkage and couldn't find anything. If someone could direct me to that, then I'll be able to quickly ID what is stock in my car and what is not. Shoulda taken some shots of everything yesterday, but was too intent on wrenching. . .

Thanks in advance for your help. I'm moving over here after being on the audifans mailing list for years, and the 2.7 is a replacement for my '95 S6 avant. Looking forward to hanging out with you guys.