S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Rich's -Free- Noggy Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rich's -Free- Noggy Build Thread

Here's where it begins. The story:

In February of 2009, a good friend of mine let me drive his all stock 2000 Nogaro Blue S4 6MT. He's been driving it as his daily driver for some time, now. Him and some of his friends started a small Alternative Energy Consulting/Design Company right out of college, so his Father has been letting him use that car for their business, since all of their income is dedicated to the company. My friend, Jason, drives very, very conservatively. And by that, I mean it's boring to be in a car with him. So slow, such even gradual acceleration. Great for the car, but boring.

So, when he let me drive it, I asked him "Jason, can I drive this car the way it was meant to be driven?" He replied "Yeah, go for it... show me what it can really do..."
So I did. I was so sold on the car so fast it's not even funny. I had been in the market for a new car for months. I've created spreadsheets helping me determine which car is best for me and have been analyzing and reanalyzing them for the last 6 months or so. RX-8? WRX? STi? Boxster S? 911 C4S? Corvette? (all used, of course). Everything had it's ups and downs on price, performance, bad weather driving, trunk space, mpg, etc. After driving the S, I very solidly decided on having a turbo'd car. Absolutely sold on the principle.

At the beginning of May, Jason called me, quite dismayed. "The car is in the shop...my uncle was driving it for a few weeks and apparently the clutch and the flywheel are dead...he said it's going to be $5,000 to get it back on the road."
[o_o]
Me: "$5,000?!?! No way, that's crap!"
Jason: "Yeah, well, my Dad doesn't really have time to deal with it. He said he's just going to junk it and get a new one. I really don't want him to get rid of it! I love that car!"
Me: "JUNK AN S4?! Dude, NO. It would NOT cost that much to fix it. That's ridiculous. Plus it's worth way more than $5K anyway."
Jason: "Well, let me see if I can talk him out of it...."

About 10 minutes later, he called me back...

"Dude, do you want it?"
Me: "What? Want it like...buy it?"
Jason: "No. As in just take it. Can you fix it? He doesn't want to deal with it...you can just have it if you want. I just don't want it junked or something."
Me: "[o_o]"
[o_o]
[o_o]
"YES! Holy crap! YES."

So, since I was traveling for work, at the end of my short tour, I flew back from SLC, Utah, to Boston, drove from Boston to Long Island to grab my father's van. We drove over to New Jersey about an hour away and picked it up from his mechanic on a flatbed. The car was dirty as hell, but clearly in good shape - no major cosmetic flaws. Ran fine...just wouldn't go into gear. We drove it back to Long Island and brought it to the family mechanic to get the RS4 Clutch, AWE Lightweight Flywheel, and Bailey Diverter Valves installed. I'd have loved to do it myself, but had no access to a lift and also had to fly out to California within a few days. I didn't really have time.

So, about $3,000 in parts and labor later, the car was back on the road. I drove it for 900 miles within two days. From Long Island, to Albany to Boston to Albany to Boston.

That is the story of how I got my Free Noggy. [drive]

From here on is the build.
__________________________________________________ ______

The Build!

First, my goals. I would like to keep my investments below the value of the car. Realistically, that's almost definitely not going to happen. The plan was to have a ton of fun with this car, learn a lot along the way, do nearly all of the work myself, and save money to purchase a 2003 911 Carerra 4S within 2 years. Now that I've driven the car more and experienced what a simple stage 1 tune can do, I hope to keep the car for more than just 2 years, and am likely going to invest more than the car's value into it, but will also be able to save up for the 911 because of how long I hope to keep it. 3 years? 4 years? Hopefully.

Outline:
1. Keep it completely daily drivable.
2. Keep it classy. Nothing that attracts TOO much attention.
3. Always seek deals and good "value." I'm not looking to be the fastest s4 in Boston. Increase performance, but don't lose my head in it.
4. Have fun with it. Don't take things too seriously. Remember, it's a hobby.
5. Always be faster than my friend’s Celica GT-S that is being modded. Try to be faster than my other friend’s 2004 modded Evo. Heh.

About the car:

Got it at 135,000 miles. Everything was stock. Minor, slow oil leak, like all of these cars have. ABS Module dead, Airbag Module dead, Pixels dead. Exterior was in beautiful shape, minus a pretty scratched up rear bumped, which I’ve since touched up to look good unless you’re hunting for it. Interior is in great shape minus a very small rip on the back seat because the previous owner used to put his bike in the car. Stock K03s show no sign of upcoming death, but who knows.

I have created a spreadsheet of planned modifications, changes, upgrades, fixes, etc. It can be found here:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/suyoxm

So far:

5/14/2009 135,000 RS4 Clutch
5/14/2009 135,000 AWE LWFW
5/14/2009 135,000 2 x Bailey Diverter Valves
5/14/2009 135,000 Oil Change: Mobil1 5W40 Synthetic
5/15/2009 135,000 Wax
6/3/2009 136,000
6/4/2009 136,000 Short Shifter Installation
6/10/2009 136,500 Full Detail
6/11/2009 136,500 2 x LED License Plate Lights
6/12/2009 136,500 35% Tint all around
6/12/2009 136,500 2 x LED Convenience Lights
7/2/2009 137,000 Silicon Throttle Body Boot
7/2/2009 137,000 Silicon F-Hose
7/2/2009 137,000 A-Box ECU with APR 2 Tune
7/3/2009 137,000 iPod Adaptor
7/3/2009 137,000 ABS Module Repair
7/3/2009 137,000 Air Bag Module
7/3/2009 137,000 All interior LEDs

Total cost so far: $4,682.00

Purchased, but not yet installed:

Podi Electronic Stepper Motor Boost Gauge Package
Cadence A7+HC Amp
KnuKonceptz Kollossus 0/1 Amp Kit
2x Elemental Designs 13Ov.2 Subs

Total comes to: $5,330.00

To be Purchased:
Pixel Fix
JHM Short Shifter
Sport Pedals
Bilstein Sport Shocks
MSW type 11 17x7.5" Wheels
Piggies
Vibrant Catback
LED Tail Lights
Transmission Fluid Flush

For a planned grand total of: $7,720.00

Bets should be placed on how much higher than that I end up going...

And so it begins. I’m traveling for work at the moment, but I’ll be back next week to install the Podi gauge and possibly try to get the subs in. That depends on whether or not I find an easy way to tap into the bose line level signal that runs to the amp…or if I just go with a LOC. I also MIGHT break down and buy the JHM shifter….since that eBay one is total shyte.

Any comments, suggestions, help, ANYTHING is welcome and encouraged! I know this is not some crazy single turbo build or Imola Beast or something, but it’s going to be a fun project, full of probably every fix anyone has to do and a long list of mods over the years. I’m really looking forward to it.

If anyone is in the Boston area, I’d love to meet up for a cruise, to shoot the ****, use your vag-com, or steal your garage space for the day I need to do a K04 swap.

-Rich
Old 07-08-2009, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

First, I hate you for getting a free Noggy S4.

Second, get the JHM shifter you won't regret it. I would go for full coilovers if you are going to do suspension.

Thrid, welcome to a love hate relationship and kiss your bank account goodbye.

Fourth, does you car have aluminum uprights? If you aren't sure look at the front suspension uprights. If they are silver you have aluminum. If you have black you have steel.

Fifth, I hate you for getting a free 6mt Noggy S4.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn looks like jib gave you a good deal on that amp.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Stop with all the LEDs. Get suspension, downpipes/exhaust and tune.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RolledMySTi
First, I hate you for getting a free Noggy S4.

Second, get the JHM shifter you won't regret it. I would go for full coilovers if you are going to do suspension.

Thrid, welcome to a love hate relationship and kiss your bank account goodbye.

Fourth, does you car have aluminum uprights? If you aren't sure look at the front suspension uprights. If they are silver you have aluminum. If you have black you have steel.

Fifth, I hate you for getting a free 6mt Noggy S4.
Yeah I'm super pumped about the JHM shifter.
I was considering COs, but couldn't find any of high quality that didnt drop the car at all that were reasonably priced. Sell me on the idea of COs rather than just the bilsteins, or point me to some solid ones.

Yeah, I've already become familiar with the love/hate situation. Luckily, having gotten it for free offsets the $$ issue.

What about the uprights?

I know I'm a damn lucky SOB.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by complacentsee
Damn looks like jib gave you a good deal on that amp.
Yeah, it's actually pretty close to going rate on them these days. JasonPaul (Cadence Rep) was selling them refurbed a year or two ago for $200-$300 or so.

But still, definitely a steal at almost any price. Solid amp. Can't wait to get it fired up. I can't wait to see what it's going to do to my "little" 13Ov.2s
Old 07-08-2009, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DM-S4
Stop with all the LEDs. Get suspension, downpipes/exhaust and tune.
I like LEDs. a lot. incandescent is stupid old inefficient technology. I like the pure light LEDs give off. Plus, they're cheap as hell, and, to me, give a more expensive/sophisticated look. I'll also never ever have to replace a light in my car again. ahhh, the peace of mind.

Suspension, Piggies, catback on their way. After that, I'll go to APR for another tune. Should I wait until I do upgraded air intake for another tune?
Old 07-08-2009, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Aluminium uprights are dead sexy.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

They're probably steel. I'll look through the pictures that Ive taken to see if any of them got the suspension. I dont think I got any, though. I'm in Dallas, at the moment. Nowhere near my car.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Oh wow . . .I'm kinda speechless. I've wanted a Nogaro B5 S4 since the day I laid eyes on it. And you totally just walked into one! Now, 10 years, one wife, one child, and two degrees later, I finally purchased one. While I'm thrilled for you, I'm a little envious that I had to pay for mine Good luck with the build man, I hope she brings much happiness to your life! Would love some pics of the LED's and other mods as your project progresses.

Quick Reply: Rich's -Free- Noggy Build Thread