S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

RIP KO3's.. eulogy below.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've been doing most of the work myself. I had a group help me get the engine out, and have relied

on a few friends for help along the way. I've definitely found a lot of help from the archive here (big thanks to Mike2KS4@ASP and The_Jerbel for their engine pull instructions and information). I've also been very fortunate to have friends that have loaned me cars, garage space, tools, time, expertise, and moral support.

Believe me, it's quite a kick in the wallet. But do yourself a favor and don't skimp. I know it's painful, but there's so many things you can easily do while the engine is out. It's better in the long run. Yeah, I wish it hadn't happened right before Christmas. At least I was able to take advantage of some of the sales and was able to get family members to kick in cash and parts
Old 12-19-2007, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Im in Utah.. I have a couple options.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Yeah, Im def going to start compiling info and sites. That is good that

your friends are able to help you. Im so tempted to do the same, and do it myself. Half for the fun of it, and the other half so I don't have to take out a 2nd mortgage. ;-) So on a 1-10 how bad is it really? You just pulled the engine and not the sub frame right?
Old 12-19-2007, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

ever been to coral pink? I rode out there, was awesome
Old 12-19-2007, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Nah, where is it at? I remember you used to have a dirt bike in your sig right?
Old 12-19-2007, 08:15 PM
cjk
AudiWorld Senior Member

Shoot me an email- I have some turbos/other parts forsale
Old 12-20-2007, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's a learning experience...and it's going a bit slower than I had hoped.

Actually getting the engine out was fairly easy. I've seen pictures of both pulling the engine and dropping the subframe. I went with the former. It seems that the subframe route would be great if you had a 2 post lift and could just lift the body of the car off the subframe. I didn't have that luxury, so I went with the other.

I've helped with timing belts on other S4s, so getting to that point wasn't so bad. Instead of stopping there, you just keep on removing things. You just have to take your time with the connectors and fluid lines.

Difficulty-wise, I'd say it's probably about a 7.5 right now. Some things have been a little more difficult, and often you learn something after the fact that would have made your life a lot easier. This usually causes you to redo something you've already completed. For example, I learned last night that I didn't route the oil feed lines quite right since I didn't have enough clearance for the transmission bell housing. It happens. So now I need to find another set of crush washers for the banjo bolts and rethink the way I routed the lines so I can get the engine and trans back together. I'll keep working next week and I should <fingers crossed> try to get her started before the new year.

Take lots of notes. Take lots of pictures. Label everything. Read the Bentley. Even though this is my first time doing anything of this magnitude with the car, I still feel very confident that it will live again very soon. I think it would go a lot smoother the next time I try it. It better not be on my car, though :P It has been fun, though. Frustrating at times, but I think once it's done, it will be a very rewarding experience.