S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Rotors: Cross-drilled or Slotted...Which would you get and why? Benifits/drawback for each?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2000, 07:40 AM
CP

Thanks...going to get the ATE slotted. Hints on how to get caliper w/ old pads off rotor w/ lip
Old 02-23-2000, 07:42 AM
merlin

Correction: last sentence should read slotted, not cross-drilled.
Old 02-23-2000, 07:54 AM
Geza

Default Wedge something between the pad (nearest the piston) and the rotor to push the piston in a bit (nt)

nt
Old 02-23-2000, 08:05 AM
Warren Wang

Default I'm confused

If you disassemble the A4 caliper correctly, one pad stays on the caliper bracket, and the other remains clipped to the caliper. The rotor shouldn't be an issue. Maybe my memory is bad.

Check out the FAQ in the wheels & tires section.

Warren
Old 02-23-2000, 08:55 AM
lionsfan54

Default I spoke with Baer Brakes Inc...

...for quite some time at the SEMA show in Las Vegas.

They were emphatic in stressing that corss drilling is for cosmetic purposes only. Take a look at www.baer.com and read about.

If you want to sacrifice some longevity of rotor life and want that cool look then go for it. But understand that there is no perf adavantage.

Here's a quote from their site:
Q: I don’t want to spend the money for a complete brake upgrade. Do you offer cross drilled rotors to work with my factory brakes?

No. Baer Racing is in the business of building brake systems that will noticeably improve the braking performance. Although there are those that will sell cross-drilled rotors as a performance upgrade, the testing we have done indicates there is little, if any, improvement to be had by simply cross drilling rotors.

Cross drilling was designed to alleviate a problem known as out-gassing. In some of the older pad compounds, when the pads reached elevated temperatures consistent with performance or racing use, the binder (that’s the material that holds the friction material in place) boiled off, producing a gas. This gas would build up between the rotor and the brake pad, effectively keeping the pad away from the rotor. The holes provided a relief path for these gasses, so the pad could once again contact the rotor. Cross-drilling was NOT designed to facilitate cooling.

Although Baer offers cross drilling as an option on their systems, it is offered as a cosmetic option only. Furthermore, it has been our experience that cross drilling will shorten the life of the rotors.
Old 02-23-2000, 08:57 AM
Boss Hogg

Default Sorry Warren, but which fast cars are you talking about? The Porsche Turbo=cross drilled. Every new

Ferrari from the F360 Modena to the F550 Modena are cross drilled. The Lamborghini Diablo = cross drilled. Please supply examples of what you are talking about.
Old 02-23-2000, 09:00 AM
Boss Hogg

Although I will give you the McLaren F1, which does have ventilated discs (not drilled) brakes
Old 02-23-2000, 09:00 AM
lionsfan54

Default That company looks sketchy to me

They tout cross drilling to be this great thing when all it's really good for is cosmetics.
Look at this website: http://www.baer.com/faq.htm

Q: I don’t want to spend the money for a complete brake upgrade. Do you
offer cross drilled rotors to work with my factory brakes?

No. Baer Racing is in the business of building brake systems that will
noticeably improve the braking performance. Although there are those that
will sell cross-drilled rotors as a performance upgrade, the testing we
have done indicates there is little, if any, improvement to be had by
simply cross drilling rotors.

Cross drilling was designed to alleviate a problem known as out-gassing.
In some of the older pad compounds, when the pads reached elevated temperatures
consistent with performance or racing use, the binder (that’s the material
that holds the friction material in place) boiled off, producing a gas.
This gas would build up between the rotor and the brake pad, effectively
keeping the pad away from the rotor. The holes provided a relief path for
these gasses, so the pad could once again contact the rotor. Cross-drilling
was NOT designed to facilitate cooling.

Although Baer offers cross drilling as an option on their systems, it is
offered as a cosmetic option only. Furthermore, it has been our experience
that cross drilling will shorten the life of the rotors.
Old 02-23-2000, 09:23 AM
Warren Wang

Default Race cars, not street cars

I said race cars. Not street cars. I already conceived the fact that Porsche has very nice casted holes in their rotors.

I'm talking about RACE cars. How many SCCA race cars have drilled rotors? Slim to none. Most of the teams know better. You think they wanna have to pit to change out the rotors more often due to cracks? I'm not talking about slight surface spiderwebbing, I'm talking about CRACKS. Big *** cracks, which get even bigger as you go.

Look at the touring cars, Nascar, F1, etc. Most of them have vented, maybe vented and slotted. Only a few run w/ holes, and they're probably casted, not drilled.

I'm stealing this line, but: Buy a cheap engine that blows up, no big deal, pull over. Buy a cheap exhaust, no big deal, it's loud. Buy cheap brakes and you can die.

Speeding up is fun. Slowing down saves your life.

Warren
Old 02-23-2000, 09:43 AM
Russ Burns

Default Was kind of curious on just what the grooves for. But this I can't believe.

This is a quote form the DBA land crusier line

"The unique design of DBA Longlife Slotted – which includes directional slotting – also provides better
brake pad life and will effectively clear water, dirt and grime from the braking system when driving in
challenging conditions. "

My vaned roters fill with mud all the time, and it is a real pain to keep them clean. they bake into fired clay. I can just imagine how grooved rotors will perform in mud.

Russ Burns

Quick Reply: Rotors: Cross-drilled or Slotted...Which would you get and why? Benifits/drawback for each?