S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

S4 Dream car? or money pit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well.... mine just turned 7 (built august '99). hasn't been too bad of a money pit.

It was also my dream car too. Used to point out UrS4's back when I was little (gimme a break, I'm 19) to my dad when we'd be driving around. For the amount of enjoyment these cars bring, along with the high level of luxury and refinement provided... they're really darn hard to beat for the price -- even including the repairs. Only way you might could do better for the money is buying an older, turbo I5 Ur car... but the B5 is so much more beautiful.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:08 PM
Former Vendor

Default B5 platform is like 10 years old though....

The first S4 came out almost 9MYs ago
Old 09-27-2006, 12:13 PM

Default Gotta pay to play. Real thrills are never free. Cheap thrills are never............

satisfying and are over way to fast.

It's your dream car, You like it just the way it is fine if you leave it that way and keep up on minor maintenence I think you'll be fine. Chips, driving hard etc.. wanting more POWA will cost lots of Money.

TO ALL THE CRITICS AND THE NOOB POLICE,

THIS IS JUST MY OPINION AND THE WAY I SEE IT ;p
Old 09-27-2006, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default from an owner in your demographic....

looking back i have learned a ton about this car. ive had mine for 3 years - -i was very **** about finding one that was extremely CLEAN. mine was CPO'ed, i got to meet the previous owner and got a good feeling. (plus all service was well documented)

INHO, a lot of it goes back to how well the car was cared for. was it continually flogged?

have it thoroughly inspected. get to know your car before you mod it. i'm just done exhaust/suspension and am just fine with that for now ;-)

i'm no "expert" per say by AW standards, but ive found by taking an active role in the servicing of these cars - - it can hopefully make for a nice experience -- i.e. find a good indy shop you can trust, develop a relationship with them, get involved with your local Audi group -- it can be a great resource/reference

i'm a big believer in finding a well-maintined one.

knowledge is power -- AW is your friend
good luck

PS - look at the "big picture" -- it can be an expensive car to insure, do you have $$$ set aside in event of major repair/turbos? my reasonable side says, "get a honda" , hoewever, there's NO other car out there that does for me like the B5 S4!

PSS- i plan on driving this thing into the ground
Old 09-27-2006, 12:28 PM

In that case buy one for sure. You will become your own mechanic, AW =lots of knowledge
Old 09-27-2006, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes but the actual cars are 4-6 years old.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Well, its a German car - which differs greatly from Japanese or Detroit iron...

IMO, it requires more intensive and expensive maint, but if cared for it will reward you with decent reliability.

If you can do some DIY as others have mentioned, that helps. If you plan on putting as little $ into the car as possible (other than repairing things that break) then this is not the car for you. If you can justify using synthetic oil and giving it lots of TLC and keeping an eye on things, you will like being an owner.

I love fussing over this car, but most of my friends and neighbors think I'm crazy or way too ****. Just realize that parts availability is limited (I buy most of mine via the intarweb) and finding a decent shop to fix the things that you can't may not be as easy as owning a Chevy or a Honda. It is very rewarding to drive, and I can't not look back at it everytime I park it still after 5+ years!
Old 09-27-2006, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

both imho.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Yes.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:17 PM

Default Almost same situation as you.

I'm 25, bought the car ~3 years ago, do most of the work myself. I couldn't agree more with everything you've said. I love the car, pain in the *** sometimes. But still, even completely stock, the car is a dream to drive.

Definitely plan on spending some good money on maintenance. I've probably averaged 100-150/month in maintenance parts for this car since I've owned it. Tires, brakes, spark plugs, good oil/filters, timing belt job, the control arms are getting done as I type this, both rear wheel bearings, outer tie rod ends. I think I'll have to do the motor mounts soon. At that point, I think I will have replaced 'most' of the parts that 'regularly' go bad, other than the turbos (crosses fingers). I also need to do the center console display and my rear view/one side view mirror has leaked, but I'm too lazy to dig into them right now.

Read a bunch so you know what you are getting into, but I can imagine you've already done some of this.

Quick Reply: S4 Dream car? or money pit?