S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

S4 Problems... Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 12:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S4 Problems... Help!

Ok so I have had my 2000 S4 (Tip) for about a month. Bought it with 100k miles had timing belt kit replaced along as both turbos replaced before I bought it. The Abs module is bad and I know that but I got the engine fault codes pulled and I want to see if any of them are bad enough for me to stop driving or what I should fix 1st. Also the boost gauge is only reading at ~5psi when floored. Thx

P1606 Rough Road Spec. Engine Torque ABS-SG - Electrical Malfunction A

P0455 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (no purge flow or large leak)

P1176 O2 Correction Behind Catalyst,B1 Limit Attained

P1177 O2 Correction Behind Catalyst,B2 Limit Attained

P1296 Cooling System Malfunction 17704

P0741 Torque Converter Clutch Circ Performance or Stuck Off

Are any of these easy fix like a loose plug or something? Thx
Old 01-03-2010, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The first one is the same problem I am having right now, a bad ABS module. Search for "ABS + BRAKE light and BEEP" for the thread. Complacentsee put up a DIY fix but it does not work for all ABS problems. You can send the ABS unti to modulemasters to have it rebuilt for about $160. You can drive the car with the ABS module removed.

Fix the EVAP leak and your O2 error codes might go away as well. This might be caused by running very rich or lean.

Cooling system? Is your A/C functioning?

The torque converter is a TIP only thing so I can't help you there, but it sounds expensive.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by pezis
Ok so I have had my 2000 S4 (Tip) for about a month. Bought it with 100k miles had timing belt kit replaced along as both turbos replaced before I bought it. The Abs module is bad and I know that but I got the engine fault codes pulled and I want to see if any of them are bad enough for me to stop driving or what I should fix 1st. Also the boost gauge is only reading at ~5psi when floored. Thx

P1606 Rough Road Spec. Engine Torque ABS-SG - Electrical Malfunction A

P0455 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (no purge flow or large leak)

P1176 O2 Correction Behind Catalyst,B1 Limit Attained

P1177 O2 Correction Behind Catalyst,B2 Limit Attained

P1296 Cooling System Malfunction 17704

P0741 Torque Converter Clutch Circ Performance or Stuck Off

Are any of these easy fix like a loose plug or something? Thx
I'm with don in saying that fixing the EVAP leak will most likely get rid of the 02 codes. they go hand in hand. as for the cooling system code, I'm pretty sure it means vehicle cooling, not climate control. check the radiator and piping for leaks and check your coolant level. maybe even try doing a coolant flush. If the torque converter is in fact stuck off, then you're basically driving around with no lock-up in the converter. is your gas milage worse than normal?
Old 01-03-2010, 03:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Its winter so I havent really tried my cooling, and my coolant level seems fine, Ill reset my meter and see where im at mpg. How do I go about fixing the EVAP leak? And how mechanicly inclined do I need to be to do a coolant flush, I just drain the old and replace with new?

Forgot to add that my Water Temp gauge only goes to mid Temp about 20% of the time, eaither its broken or I think my pump is messed up, could this be causeing P1296?
Old 01-03-2010, 07:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by pezis
Its winter so I havent really tried my cooling, and my coolant level seems fine, Ill reset my meter and see where im at mpg. How do I go about fixing the EVAP leak? And how mechanicly inclined do I need to be to do a coolant flush, I just drain the old and replace with new?

Forgot to add that my Water Temp gauge only goes to mid Temp about 20% of the time, eaither its broken or I think my pump is messed up, could this be causeing P1296?
a coolant flush is easy, just drain the coolant and replace. if there is no drain plug, just disconnect the lower radiator hose. as far as the water temp. guage, in winter you have to be on the road for a little long, to get the engine to operating temperature, so unless it takes longer than 15 minutes of actual driving I wouldn't worry about it. your water pump isn't the problem, because if it was broken, you engine would be too hot and overheat. the thermostat could be the reason your engine heats up slowly if it is stuck open.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I would also suggest using a cleansing solvent. These are readily available at autozone etc. just follow the instructions on the container.

It amazes me that the cooling error is not more specific, but based on the other symptoms I have to agree with pber: your thermostat is messed up.

The evap system is a doozy. You will need to pressure test the system to pinpoint the bad valve, hose or whatever it is that is causing you evap system to leak.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by donromani
I would also suggest using a cleansing solvent. These are readily available at autozone etc. just follow the instructions on the container.

It amazes me that the cooling error is not more specific, but based on the other symptoms I have to agree with pber: your thermostat is messed up.

The evap system is a doozy. You will need to pressure test the system to pinpoint the bad valve, hose or whatever it is that is causing you evap system to leak.
yeah, the error code for the cooling system seemed odd to me too...as for the evap system, I wouldn't mess with that unless you know what you are doing. that may be best left to an audi tech
Old 01-06-2010, 10:35 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Did you TB job include a new water pump and thermostat? The o-ring the the thermostat is commonly sat incorrectly and keeps the car from reaching temperature properly. So I would start there for the heat issue.

The tq converter is another very very common fault and unfortunately is not usually a loose wire/bad sensor. You are likely looking at needing a new tq converter.

As for the evap leak, I also agree that fixing that will likely clear up the o2 codes too. I can source all of the above mentioned parts for much less than the dealer. Feel free to PM me.
Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Sales: 8:30am to MIDNIGHT EST | Customer Service 8:30am - 8pm EST
Questions? PM us for a quick response! | Email: Pete@ecstuning.com
Old 01-10-2010, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default P0741 Torque Converter Clutch Circ Performance or Stuck Off

Need a new torque converter. Just had this taken care of myself, if you want something more robust then a new OEM converter (there is a seal in them that goes bad which causes this code) try Sam @ 517

517 Trans Inc.
186 Main St.
Ogdensburg, NJ 07439

973 823 6320Telephone:
E-mail: info@517trans.com
Old 01-11-2010, 11:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

How much am I looking at for a new TC? And Should is this a piece that I can upgrade to get better horses, might as well while the whole jobs being done. I used a cleaning Solv in the fuel injector and used some in the gas tank but am waiting till my next oil change to put it in the oil, I used Sea Foam. Also I think I am getting the smell of burt oil coming though the heater, while I am loosing a little bit of Coolant and oil (very small amount but can see it on the ground after a night in the garage.) Thanks for everyone help so far and future help is very appreciated.

Quick Reply: S4 Problems... Help!