S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

s4 rear caliper same as a4???? brake problems :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2004, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s4 rear caliper same as a4???? brake problems :(

well i was replacing the rear brakes today on m4 s4 following all the steps on the techarticles

anyways the rear caliper is frozen i think we used a press to compact it but now it wont come back out and have completely no brakes after bleeding the rears, didnt touch the fronts

anyone else had this problem??
Old 01-01-2004, 05:31 PM
Elder Member

Default What did you use to compress the piston?

If you used a press, you need to rebuild the caliper, or maybe even replace it. The pistons have to be compressed with a compressing and turning motion, not just a compression motion because of the emergency brake.

I assume thats true of the A4 as well, as my ex-girlfriend's GTI was that way, as was two Jettas I've replaced rear brakes on.
Old 01-01-2004, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default looks liek i need a new caliper then :( or rebuilt :(

also are teh a4 ones the same as s4 rear calipers??
Old 01-01-2004, 05:35 PM
Elder Member

Default That I don't know.

I'd bet they are, though. The S4's is very similar to the ones on the other cars I mentioned... its possible they're identical, I never really looked that closely, but the way you get them off is the same. The rear rotors are different thickness, though, so who knows.
Old 01-01-2004, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default crap need one tomorrow otherwise i cant go to work on monday :(

looking at salvage yards in teh area now
Old 01-01-2004, 06:12 PM
Elder Member

Default You probably should have a shop look at it...

Brakes aren't something you should be guessing at a cause of a problem with...

The thing I don't really get is why you don't have any brakes at all... unless you are leaking fluid, you should get brake pressure at the other corners...

Are you sure the system was fully bled and isn't leaking?
Old 01-01-2004, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default have brakes just have to push all teh way to the floor then fronts lock up

also bled teh right read and left rear since those were the only 2 we disconnected ???

also wasnt low on brake fluid or anything

brake on dash was flashing

and the ebrake pulls up all teh way but doesnt really grab since the left rear doesnt push the piston in at all
Old 01-01-2004, 06:22 PM
Elder Member

Default E-brake is on both rear wheels, it should still grab.

You probably got air elsewhere in the system. I usually do a full flush when I have disconnected a caliper... because the full bleed is good generally, and its an excuse to change out the fluid.

I did a quick front-only bleed when I put my stockers back on today, and I have a mushy pedal, but I'm going to live with it until Saturday when I can do a full bleed. (Not driving it to work tomorrow, anyway, so I only needed it to go grocery shopping). The only reason I only did two was that I couldn't get the rear wheels off (seized to the hub), and I didn't feel like bleeding the fronts enough to be able to stop, putting the wheels back on, dropping the car off the stands so I could roll it backwards to pop the wheels free, just to put it all back up, take all the wheels back off and do a full bleed.

My fronts are fully bled, but the process of changing calipers definitely got enough air in the rest of the system to make the pedal very soft. I didn't disconnect rears.
Old 01-01-2004, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default ebrake grabs a tad but only on right rear since left rear is fully seized

also the ebrake pulls up REALLY high then it grabs
Old 01-02-2004, 03:37 AM
Rest In Peace

Default Mat @ Induktion helped me get one of my front pistons unfrozen after I compressed it too far.

Send him an email and see if he's still in the holiday giving spirit. Maybe he'll tell you how to do it.

Fixing the front was relatively easy because there was a second piston to push in and pop the frozen one out. On the rears, I bet that there's only one piston per side, so it's probably more difficult.

Quick Reply: s4 rear caliper same as a4???? brake problems :(