S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

S4 vs. Boxter (No, not another us vs. them post)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2000, 08:30 PM
rickp

Default S4 vs. Boxter (No, not another us vs. them post)

I was seriously considering a Porsche Boxter (along with a 5er, a 328Ci, and a Corvette), before the S4 grabbed my heart. A Boxter vs. an S4 is most definitely an Apples to Oranges comparison (roadster vs. sedan), but they were both cars I would have liked to own, so it's Apples to Apples for me!

Recently, my neighbor down the road gave me a ride in his Boxter and I returned the favor with a ride in my S4.

Impressions: This was a stock (201 hp) Boxter so that although it was quick, it was substantially less powerful then my stock S4. Now the 250 hp Boxter S would definitely be a different story!

I dunno about you guys, but the Porsche design is getting a bit dated for me. Still, it's a Porsche. It definitely has nameplate status over Audi. Plus, with the top down - it is one sleek automobile!

While a bit slower than my S4, that Boxter is really tight and buttoned down well, esp. for a convertable!

The Boxter is much more agile than an S4. I would guess because it's smaller and lighter, but also because the wheels that steer aren't involved in powering the car - as in quattro.

This Boxter had a Tiptronic! The Porsche Tip looks and functions pretty identically to the one on the S4 - steering wheel buttons, etc. In fact, the only difference I noted was that the Porsche Tip buttons were a little bit more square than the S4 Tip buttons.

Negatives:

Safety concerns are an issue for me after my bad car accident four years ago. I definitely felt less safe in the Boxter than in the S4. Also, I like my luxury. The Boxter is pretty plain, unless you add expensive luxo options.

I'm glad I went with the S4, as I really like the safety, practicality, and luxury that the S4 sedan offers.

The Porsche Boxter is one very nice car, but if I were in the market for a roadster, I'd take a look at Audi and BMW as I like the more "modern" looks of the BMW M Roadster or the Audi TT.

Rick
Old 01-14-2000, 08:38 PM
Warren Wang

Default A friend just picked up a Boxster

What a wonderful car! The sound of the engine is awesome. I can't wait to get a ride when it's warm outside. As much as I love my car, I've very jealous of the handling and all together connected feel of the Boxster, right out of the factory. I'll be able to get mostly there with mods and come out cheaper, but that doesn't detract from how nice his car is. Same story on M cars.

Oh, and I also hitched a ride in a Boxster at a track (Texas World Speedway). An instructor was driving, and boy did he ever drive it. Wasn't even his car :P

Alcons coming,
Warren
Old 01-15-2000, 12:22 AM
occam

Default Anyone else have a problem with the current Porsche interior design (aesthetics)?

The upside down teardrop'ish center console just plain looks like it's from Mars to me. Can't cope with it, and they seem to use it on every car. Doh. Beautiful car(s) in many ways too, just not the interior to my taste. (I might just be weird though.)

= Joe =
Old 01-15-2000, 12:33 AM
ChuckH

Default Sadly, I think Porsche has lost it's edge in styling, both...

...interior and exterior. To me, they look like your ordinary car. I would take an earlier model, full of personality and beauty over a new, boring one any day of the week!
Old 01-15-2000, 03:55 AM
Phil G.

Default Why I'm going with the S4

I had a deposit on a Boxster S, and carefully optioned out the car to precise specs - which came to an ungodly $64K before taxes. Plus, I'd need another car for work since I'm in PA which is not FL or CA, and wouldn't want to drive a sports car to work. Plus, I have twin 15 year old boys (one in each trunk??). Bottom line, I opted out of the S and into an S4 - which is every bit as fast as the S, has 4+ seats, and is only $25K less. Apples and oranges, yes. The S is a fabulous, fast, great handling car - that has had some quality control problems. I am going with the S4, which gives me absolutely everything I wanted (except maybe a retractable top, but I can live with that). Now to explain my decision to my 15 year olds, who think the Porsche is just awesome. "If we can't get the S, can we look at the F355?" In a word, guys, NO!

Phil G.
Old 01-15-2000, 04:41 AM
Phil G.

Default All a matter of personal taste...

In the course of driving the S and looking at those big gray dials, aluminum bezels in that teardrop shape fascia, it somehow all works. I quickly grew to love the looks...but, not only does Porsche kill you on options - try $780 for footwell lighting!! - but on maintenance - all for the privilege of owning one. For Audis and BMWs, you really appreciate the free maintenance over the first 3 years of ownership. The cost of owning an S4 is just so much less than owning the S.

Phil
Old 01-16-2000, 01:33 AM
ChuckH

Default Bet they'll like the S4 also! Don't let them touch it when...

...they turn 16 though! Not unless you are atleast in the car. With that $25K you could buy a used 911 or something for an extra car. Have fun! :-)

Charles
Old 01-16-2000, 06:47 AM
Phil G.

Default No intention of teaching them to drive a stick! (more)

My kids know enough to keep away from my cars! I plan to divert them with a "pre-owned" Jetta when they're old enough to drive. It will be an automatic for sure!

Phil
Old 01-16-2000, 06:57 AM
mpm

Default Totally agree...step forward in performance, major step back in styling

Bland sheet metal, cheap interior materials, hidious dash cluster, and center consule...

Just when everyone is going retro (hello, Porsche, look inside the TT), Porsche goes Pontiac...
Old 01-16-2000, 10:10 AM
cgerard

Default why would it be an automatic?

just curious? why would you make them drive an automatic?

Quick Reply: S4 vs. Boxter (No, not another us vs. them post)