S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

S4 warm up, cool down questions for you...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2001, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S4 warm up, cool down questions for you...

Hi,
I've got about 600 miles on my S4, so I am taking it easy with warm up and cool down. My question is if I am taking it easy enough...

When I start it up, I'll let it idle about a minute or so, and when I drive off I don't do any hard accelerations while it's cold, and since I'm still breaking it in I definitely don't go above 5000rpm (if I can help it).

If I know I am going to park somewhere not at home, I'll lay off the accelerator for a while, and when I do park it I'll sit for about a minute.

Question 1: if I'm doing some shopping around town or something, and if I'm stopping somewhere for a couple of minutes only, when I get back to the car, how much should I let it "warm up"? it's already warm of course, but I guess I'm asking how long till I've got enough oil going around the parts?

Question 2: if I haven't been driving it hard, how long should I let it cool off till I turn off the car? My S4 sales person told me that it doesn't really need much of a cool down period after normal driving.

Question 3: how would you define "driving hard"?

Question 4: if I'm at a relatively high engine speed (like 4000-5000 rpm) and I'm not pushing hard on the gas pedal, how much, if at all, are the turbos working?

Basically, I want to find the happy medium of how long to warm up and cool the car, without having to spend *too* much time in the car waiting. But I don't want to wait too little, either.

Thanks!

Carlos
Old 09-28-2001, 04:23 PM

Default Re: S4 warm up, cool down questions for you...

1: no problem, just go the oil hasn't all made it back into the pan yet..

2: about a minute, if you have a garage, pop open the hood to release some of that hot air. i do that religiously.. gets the heat out faster.

3: not like a pansy

4: boost is dependent on engine load. hook up a gauge and you'll be suprised at the results (i.e. boost where you don't expect, and less boost where you expect maDd b00st. YO!

Old 09-28-2001, 04:23 PM

Default My take...

1) When I first start my car, I don't move until the idle settles to ~800 RPM. If my engine is already warm. I take a quick look at the tachometer. The manual states to not let the engine idle too long to "warm up" the car.

2) If I am haven't been in boost for a significant portion of my drive, I just idle for about a minute before I turn off my car. I just open the door and when the chime stops a minute has passed.

3) I define driving hard as a lot of time in boost. Your oil temperature often gets above 225 degrees.

4) High RPM doesn't necessarily mean you are in boost. It is dependent on engine load.

You should invest in a boost gauge. There are plenty of nice ones out. The boost gauge would allow you to know what your turbos are doing.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-28-2001, 04:52 PM

Default My take..

When the car is cold, the idle is above 1000rpm. I warm it till it drops to 800-900. If you jump into the car mid day and the car starts at sub-1000rpm idle I say no need to warm up.
Old 09-28-2001, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Even at idle the turbo is spinning at several thousand RPM. Immediate shutdown is not good for.....

the turbo bearings. The Turbine shaft is actually supported by a thin film of oil so if you come to a stop and immediately shut the engine down the turbos are still spinning and without the engine running, are left with no oil flow to lubricate and support the shaft bearings. My opinion, always let the car idle for at least a few seconds. Besides, is there really a need to be in a huge rush anyway???
Old 09-28-2001, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default from my a4 manual

it says about like this:
Engine wear is worst during warm up, so it is best to warm the engine up as quickly as possible without pushing the engine hard. You shouldn't start the car until you are ready to drive.
it also says that cool down is a good thing, but doesn't go too much into it. Basicly that you should allow the car to cool down after a hard run by driving slowly for the last 5 minutes or so.
Old 09-29-2001, 06:05 AM

Thanks for your input!