S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Sad reactions to first drive - experienced turbo drivers please help (very long)

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-1999, 02:46 PM
Scott W

It was my understanding that Max. Torque is achieved from approx. 1700rpm right to redline.
Old 09-21-1999, 02:47 PM
Scott W

I did that too & you could definately spool them w/a blip.
Old 09-21-1999, 02:50 PM
Wes

Default Re: Sad reactions to first drive - experienced turbo drivers please help (very long)

From my experience with a 95 Saab 900 Turbo, the turbo lag is present for at least a full second if you hit the throttle below 3000 rpm's. If you are at 4000 it turns into about 1/4 of a second. I enjoy the delivery of a turbo more than a normally asspirated car because you get the power all at once. What a rush! Hope this helps

Wes
00 S4 (Week 38)
Old 09-21-1999, 02:51 PM
AvramD

Default Rephrasing my question...

Ok, here's a much simpler way to ask my question -
Give me two numbers totalling 100 as follows:

I've learned not to car about the lag
I've learned how to adapt my driving style to non-linear thrust

100/0 = I don't care if I get sea-sick, as long as I get to 1/4mi before you
0/100 = If you were riding with me, you'd never know it was a turbo.
Old 09-21-1999, 02:54 PM
Scott W

20/80 (if you're deaf)!
Old 09-21-1999, 02:55 PM
Toon

Default A Blow-off Valve could solve your problem (more)

Install a blow-off valve between the turbo and the throttle body (preferbaly closer to the turbo side). The blow-off valve will bleed off the pressure build up down stream of the turbo compressor wheel when you close the throttle. This will help the turbine and compressor wheel stay spinning at a higher rpm during gear shifting.

Also get a short shifter kit(if you can find one for the S4)so that you can shift gears faster and get back on the throttle earlier.

Toon (Thinking of getting an S4)
Old 09-21-1999, 03:33 PM
charliec

Default My own turbo experiences...

Well, I've not yet driven an Audi turbo, but I do have an 93 RX-7 R1 and an 88 323GTX (modified) which are both turbo cars. My experience is that I just always know how much power I'm going to get. Power delivery is not as linear as a normally aspirated engine, I agree, but it is completely predictable once you have driven a little to get used to it. In both cars, when I am driving "spiritedly", I tend to stay pretty close to red line all the time, so that may make a difference in my experience, compared to living at lower revs...

My guess: If you get the S4 it will take a couple days to get used to it and you'll rarley ever notice it again.

Have fun!

Charlie
Old 09-21-1999, 03:35 PM
dB

Default Modern rally cars have some sort of computer control......

which keeps the turbo spooled up during down-shifts. I wish I knew more about it, but I think that's why they spit and pop all the time!
Old 09-21-1999, 03:36 PM
dB

You'd be surprised at what people get used to driving! (i.e. GM)
Old 09-21-1999, 03:57 PM
donp

Default It's a brain thing

Basically, you're just used to normally aspirated power.

A turbo car will always feel different because there will always be some degree of lag... no matter how small. No bones about it... a turbo car requires a different driving style. I think what you'll find is that after just a little bit of seat time your brain will adjust to this inherent delay and you'll find yourself stepping into the gas just a .5 seconds sooner when you begin your urge to pass or whatever.

The other thing your brain will adjust to (and become addicted to) is the turbo rush once things get going... once this happens and you get into a NA car you wish you had that turbo back and the .5 second delay will be the least of your concerns.

On your "to much -- to little" observation I think it boils down to the same thing... you're just not used to it. After a while you would instinctively apply less throttle and not overshoot your desired amount of power. Probably what's happening now is you step on the gas, that pesky .5 seconds occurs and your brains say, "oh, I need more throttle", then the boost is up and you've overshot your mark.

As for the boost lag between shifts, I have a gauge in my 1.8t and between shifts the needle on the boost gauge responds in almost a linear fashion to my application of throttle. Boost is available RIGHT NOW.

Bottom line, turbo cars are, and always will be, different beasts and as such required a slight adjustment to your driving style.

Quick Reply: Sad reactions to first drive - experienced turbo drivers please help (very long)