S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Scratched my hood last night. I'm so pissed at myself...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2001, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratched my hood last night. I'm so pissed at myself...

I had to park under a tree yesterday when I went to work as there were no other spots, and when I got back to my car, a bird had left three little gifts for me on my hood. I am normally very careful when I remove bird droppings, and sprayed all three spots with One Grand Quick Detailer to remove them. However, one was particularly stubborn and dried, and rather than WAITING LIKE I SHOULD FOR THE STUFF TO PENETRATE AND SOFTEN, I rubbed at it to remove it. Well low and behold, when I walked out to the garage this morning, I had some small scratches 2 inches long in that section of the hood. I imagine I can remove it with some 3M IHG combined with P21S Multi Surface Finish Restorer. If not, I'll try some Meguiars Fine Cut Cleaner. But it just pisses me off that I scratched the car cause I wasn't careful.

Thanks for letting me vent. I'm sure this has happened to many other also.
Old 10-31-2001, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

sorry to hear ted
Old 10-31-2001, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Same thing happened here, I found that Meguires scratch and swirl remover

did a great job at removing them, it also removed the outline of the bird turd that etched the paint. It took about 5 applications, not using much pressure and the marks came out. I also used a combination of fluorescent and incandescent lighting sources to make sure the finish looked nice.
Old 10-31-2001, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah, I'm gonna try and take care of it this afternoon. Needed an excuse to leave work a little

early, and since I have an appointment this evening, I'll blow outta here in early afternoon so I have 45 minutes or so to take care of it.
Old 10-31-2001, 07:33 AM

You guys ever try that stuff on TV where the guy scratches the hood with a quarter?
Old 10-31-2001, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Scam. He had a pencil hidden in his hand. The scratches on other cars are white--out paint.
Old 10-31-2001, 07:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Duh... next time use simple H20
Old 11-01-2001, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have some Santorin paint left over from the M3 spoiler, if all else fails..
Old 11-01-2001, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks. Worked on it last night in the garage as it was dark when I got home. I used 3M IHG

combined with P21S Multi Surface Finish Restorer. Then polished with P21S polish and followed with Blitz Wax. Looked great outside, and then when I moved it in the garage under the floresent lights, I saw it again, although faintly. So I took a chance, and broke out the Meguiars Fine Cut Cleaner (like a really mild compound). I only use this in extreme cases, but it was a bad group of scratches. Did one round of this, and then repeated the steps above. Took it out this morning in daylight, and you can't see a thing (thank goodness). You can still see it in the garage under the artificial lighting if you look carefully, so I'm going to give Larry Reynolds at Car Care Specialties a call to get his thoughts. I will probably leave it alone as who really examines there car under these lighting conditions.
Old 11-01-2001, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Actually, the One Grand Show Off is perfect for this, in MHO, than water as it is a lubricant and

is meant to clean the car's surface. I just didn't give it enough time to penetrate or use enough. I learned a valuable lesson.

Quick Reply: Scratched my hood last night. I'm so pissed at myself...