S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Searching gave mixed answers, please help. Thank you

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Searching gave mixed answers, please help. Thank you

My car has White smoke coming from the exhaust AFTER its already warmed up and been drving for a while. Nothing on the cold start. I am losing oil, and finding no oil in either of the intercooler hoses. Coolant is also dissipating pretty quickly. the smoke that does come from my exhuast isnt when i am under any load (boost), It is only after i have idled in one spot for a few minutes then accelerate, it smells like a mixture of gasoline and oil, no coolant smell at all.

car is stock on stock program and is producing full boost 8-9lbs. tapering to 6-7lbs. I read that white smoke is coolant, blue smoke is oil, and black smoke is fuel, <--can anyone back this up?????

So i had a few ideas, i though i woudl get on the freeway stay in 2nd gear up to 40mph about 4k RPMS then punch it, nothing, no smoke or anything. I pull over sit there for 5 minutes and smoke will begin to come out of the exhaust, i accelerate and white smoke still pours out for about the first 30 seconds then it stops.

I am convinced it is my turbos, some of you that have blow yoru turbos said you saw a smoke screen behind you, that is nothing liek what i am getting, very transparent white smoke is all. Some people have thrown other ideas out there liek a blown head gasket, not sure how high of a possibility this is. Some on eelse also said it was the coolant pump but im not sure. I think its the begining of my turbos going, there is no dentist drill nor have they gotten any louder or quiter.

One thing i was wondering is this, i have been running ONLY downpipes for the last year, main cats still in and everything, just no cat back. What are the chances of backpressure causing any damage. Thanks guys
Old 08-16-2007, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thinking head gasket or rings
Old 08-16-2007, 01:22 PM

Default Thank you , i just changed my valve covers gaskets my self andmaybe i missed something or didnt..

torque the nuts to the correct spec, could that be a problem
Old 08-16-2007, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default not valve cover gasket. head gasket.

though torqueing them correctly would be a good idea.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:26 PM

Default lol, i know, i ment i just changed them and maybe f--ked up along the process.....

and it damaged somthing else. As far as it being the rings you mean the turbo seal ring right? Woudl the moto need to be pulled for that?
Old 08-16-2007, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default when I said rings I meant piston rings. just a thought on the oil blowby.

I don't know how valve cover gaskets would affect coolant. and if they were loose, you'd be blowing oil all over your engine.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Well, when I had a leaky valve cover gasket I had similar things happen with my 1.8t

but I never lost any coolant.

look in your coolant overflow tank... does it look like oil's gotten in there?

change your oil. examine what comes out. Any signs of coolant being in there?

either the oil and coolant is mixing in the turbo -- which it shouldn't be -- or it's mixing in the head... which is even worse.

Good luck man. I think your poor car is cursed.

Oh, I take it from the "..comes out of the exhaust" part of your post that you finally got a cat-back on there?
Old 08-17-2007, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Head gasket. Period. There's no other entry point for the coolant to get into the cylinders.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:23 AM

Default I kind of found the problem.....

I got under my car yesterday and looked uder both turbos, driver side is nice an clean, passenger side had nasty old oil mixed with dust and sand, i guess my passenger side is leaking oil. But it still dosent explain the white smoke i am getting. i also took all the caps off to my fluids and smelt them, the smell i smell from my exhasut smells exactly like my power steering fuild. but, i havent lost any PS fluid. anyways thats my update