S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Seat costs AoA $65k

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2002, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat costs AoA $65k

OK AoA,

This is how...

When driving a friend in the market to initially shop for S6, 540, E series he asks...

"Does my seat move (passenger side)?"
-beat-
"Uh, yes I've had them looked at...I didn't know the passenger side was affected also..."
"So they fixed the driver's side?"
"Uh... actually the regional service advisor claimed the seat movement is 'within specification.'"
"What does that mean...So it still wiggles when you are driving?"
"A little bit"
"Ohhhhh...."

It's simple really. Not only are these tactics disenfranchising current 'enthusiast' customers that often wave the flag for the marque (such as many of us online), they are costing AUDI real sales. Now. And in the future when many of us give up on you...

Problems exist. Don't belittle them when they occur. Fix them. Simple and you'll make people happy.

40k service coming soon. Be prepared to fix my seats.

Derek Daily
- San Mateo<>Cupertino
- 01 S wagon / blue / no sunroof
- Name of service location to be provided after next service.... either way.
Old 11-13-2002, 11:34 AM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Listen up AoA: Seats do NOT move. Seats do NOT wiggle.

If this is happening to anyone's Audi, is NOT within specification. Fix the problems in the cars you sell, or people will stop buying your cars. I love my Audi even with all my problems I've had with it. But I have doubts that I'll be able to convince my wife to get an Audi because she is so leary of all of these problems.
Old 11-13-2002, 12:02 PM

Default Funny you should mention this. I have the same problem and....

actually brought my S4 into the dealer last week for them to fix my seat "movement". They agreed that the seat did move and that some of the A4's have done that as well. My dealership then tried to tell me that this was normal and I said no. I told them that I spent $45,000 on a car and I don't want the ****ing seat moving (especially when I decide to sell it). They then told me that they need to talk to their regional rep who will decide whether or not to give me a new seat under warranty. I'm still waiting for their answer. I love my S4, but miss the less problems and better service I had with my BMW. Even though BMW dealers will charge you an arm and a leg for parts and service especially if you are not under warranty. I would never see this type of thing happening.
Old 11-13-2002, 12:06 PM

Default Based on the horror stories from this forum, I was prepared for a fight when I took mine in...

with this very complaint

To my surprise, no questions...they kept the car overnight, and when I picked it up the next day...Voila! No seat movement!

I guess miracles can occur ;-)
Old 11-13-2002, 12:09 PM
Maestro

and the dealer who fixed it is...
Old 11-13-2002, 12:10 PM

Sorry...Town Audi, Englewood, NJ
Old 11-13-2002, 12:11 PM
Maestro

Paul Miller Audi supposedly ordered a new frame for me January 2001... still waiting
Old 11-13-2002, 12:12 PM
Maestro

good to know, thanks
Old 11-13-2002, 12:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I Couldn't agree more--BUT one thing you need to understand...

ALL German cars have some quirks. They ain't bulletproof like the Japanese, but that't the price you pay for owning a piece of german engineering. Fundamentally great cars, but you will run into non-critical problems. This has been the case with my MB, BMW, and my Audi.

A good friend in the business (remaining nameless) once said it like this:

Italians: *Design* for beauty. Make the damn thing fast at any cost. If it breaks down, who cares, just go drink some wine.

Germans: *Engineer* for functional and practical purpose. Don't forget the purpose. Make sure the critical parts are rock solid and hope the little parts stay together.

Japanese: *Challenge* the benchmark set by the other OEMs. Build them cheaper, more efficient, and most of all, they must be bulletproof. Quietly take your sportiest model and tune it to the ragged edge to keep up with the others.

Americans: Hey, they stole all of our good ideas from the past. Oh well, keep churning them out--Budget and Enterprise will still buy.

thoughts?
Old 11-13-2002, 12:20 PM
Maestro

Default very true

my e38 750:

half of the pixels went dead in the instrument cluster and center console

park distance control stopped working and made annoying beep every time the car was put into reverse. 5 trips to the dealer. 2 central units and 6 sensors later - still not working.

rear window power sunshade - motor malfunction

unidentified rattle from front passenger suspension - 4 trips to the dealer, brake shield replaced - rattle never fixed

I could go on. And that car was a bit more than $45K...

Quick Reply: Seat costs AoA $65k