S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Several test drives this weekend. Porsche Cayman is a disaster!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Several test drives this weekend. Porsche Cayman is a disaster!

It is finally time to REALLY trade in my s4 avant. I need a car with good cargo flexibility and fun to drive everyday. My short list was new mini and gti. Just for giggles i went to test drive the cayman base since they have a special lease for $549/month.

Well that was the most unsatisfying test drive i ever had. I am at a porsche dealer so i was expecting an exhilarating driving experience. i have driven my friends 993 and several boxster s before so how bad could the base cayman be right? It was slower than my previous s2000. i got on it on the highway in both 2nd and 3rd and my heart was thinking "huh" and my right foot was pressing so hard to the floor i thought the car was broken.

Next was the gti. this is a great car. it felt faster than the cayman and the interior with leather is very "premium" comparable to my s4 avant. the clutch was light and easy for daily use. the engine was without any issues up to 80 before i shut it down. I did not rev past 5k more than once to be respectful of the next owner.

My gf has the supercharged mini s automatic and the handling is much more precise than the gti but much more bouncy in everyday driving. the new mini is much more comparable to the new gti but the interior in the new mini is very cheesy.

And get this. because vw sales are plummeting i can lease the new gti with package #1 and #2 for $265/month!!! thats with 2000 down + taxes.

I think i found a winner. Barring any unforeseen changes i will most likely be downgrading to a black gti 6 speed with leather and sunroof and the new 2008 euro spec springs which are 15mm lower. the apr chip brings the car to 252hp/303lb-ft. With payments this low i think i will just buy the car after my lease of 36 months are over.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default A local gal here I knew wait for almost two year to get the cayman and she paid 97-98k with

some crazy option. I personally would get me a used 911 or something better rather then paid 97 for base price 58k car
Old 05-12-2007, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i agree 100%

a used turbo model would be much better..
Old 05-12-2007, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With all respect to the MkV, I'd keep the S4. Money is real attractive on them, though
Old 05-12-2007, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Not sure what was up with the Cayman you drove,

my cousins Cayman S is a fabulous car. Lots power, fantastic brakes and a sublime, balanced chassis.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:19 AM

Cayman Base. not the S. but at $50k there should be no excuse even at base model
Old 05-13-2007, 09:26 AM

Default My s4 warranty is up soon. Car seems to have more issues than any car i ever owned...

I had to replace two leaking valve stems. I was filling them with air every other day. never dealt with this issue in my life. than there is horrible luck with pot holes/flats on the avus 17s. than my steering fluid leaked several months ago while i was on the turnpike where i almost smashed into a 18 wheeler when the steering was lost. That was the true omen and i should have traded her in that week. sunroof is sticking. Now my automatic tranny cable linkage is loose because the last time the mechanic was working on the car he forgot to remove all the slack before lifting back my tranny. So the automatic shifter gate is all screwy. new cable is on order. Weird noises coming from the ac vents. on and on.

but i am hoping that the vw gti is more reliable on the fact that it is new, comes with 4 yrs warranty, proven engine, no awd. I dont expect it to be a honda, but just more reliable than a 60k mile b5 s4.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:48 PM

Default What part of tri-state do you live in? I am up in the Allentown area and sell VWs. Pick one

up from me? :-)
Old 05-13-2007, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

let me get this straight, you need more cargo room so your trade'n your avant on a gti??? lol
Old 05-13-2007, 03:03 PM

Default Re: let me get this straight, you need more cargo room so your trade'n your avant on a gti??? lol

i dont need more cargo room. I mentioned flexible. I need to get out of my s4 before any more problems arise. did i mention i also replaced both front cv boots in the past 6 months. it seems every week something new. its too much headache. and i didnt want to spend crazy money. thus my short list was mini and gti. both have flexible cargo.

Quick Reply: Several test drives this weekend. Porsche Cayman is a disaster!